Rascals Open 2012 with Shutout WinMay 18, 2012 - Frontier League (FL) River City Rascals
Rascals' starting pitcher Brad Stillings (1-0) struck out five in five innings of work while allowing just one single, earning the win because of a fourth-inning solo homerun from third basemen Josh Workman.
Nick Kennedy struck out three in two innings of work before Matt Serna tripled into the right-field corner and scored on an Eric Williams single to stretch the Rascals lead to 2-0.
Brandon Cunniff pitched around two singles in the eighth before Bobby Burk tattooed a two-run homerun to the left-field bleachers to give Dustin Umberger a four-run lead to work with. After allowing consecutive single to start the ninth, Umberger would strike out the side to finish the game.
The Rascals and RiverHawks resume their series Saturday with first pitch set for 7:05 CT. Rockford will send right-hander Cody Hallahan to the mound against Rascals' lefty Justin Edwards.
Frontier League Stories from May 18, 2012
- Grizzlies Fall to Slammers in Season Openers - Gateway Grizzlies
- Rascals Shut Out RiverHawks in Season Opener - Rockford RiverHawks
- Rippers Drop Season Opener - London Rippers
- Slammers Spoil Gateway's Home Opener - Joliet Slammers
- Rascals Open 2012 with Shutout Win - River City Rascals
- Otters' Comeback Falls Short in Opening Day Loss - Evansville Otters
- Wild Things Win Season Opener - Washington Wild Things
- CornBelters win 5-1 over Windy City - Normal CornBelters
- Crushers fall 4-0 in 2012 lid lifter - Lake Erie Crushers
- Shutout Punctuates Schaumburg Franchise Debut - Schaumburg Boomers
- Rogers TV to Broadcast London Rippers Home Games - London Rippers
- Wash Pa Looza Is Here - Washington Wild Things
- May 18 Joliet Slammers Game Notes - Joliet Slammers
- ThunderBolts Win Exhibition Tuesday - Windy City ThunderBolts
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.