Whitecaps Rally for WinMay 11, 2012 - Midwest League (MWL) Great Lakes Loons
Loons reliever Juan Noriega (1-2) got two quick outs in the eighth, but the second out was recorded on a comebacker that appeared to strike Noriega waist high. He remained in the game following a visit from trainer Aaron Schumacher but proceeded to allow the next four batters to reach base. Curt Casali singled, followed by a walk to Aaron Westlake. Jason King gave West Michigan the lead with a single up the middle. Brandon Loy followed with a two-run triple.
The Loons (20-15) jumped out to a 2-0 lead with two first inning runs against West Michigan starter Brennan Smith. Kevin Taylor drilled the first pitch of the game off the wall in right field and just out of the grasp of right fielder Steven Moya for a triple. Taylor crossed the plate on a ground out by Devin Shines. The next batter Scott Schebler blasted his second home run of the season to left field to put the Loons ahead 2-0.
Smith proceeded to retire the next 15 Loons he faced until a one-out sixth inning infield single by Taylor.
The Whitecaps (17-18) pushed across a pair of runs to tie the score in the third. Jeff Holm led off the frame with a first-pitch triple. After a walk to Chad Wright, Eugenio Suarez hit a ground-rule double bringing home Holm. Wright tied the score, crossing the plate on a Dean Green sac fly.
Neither starting pitcher factored in the win. Loons starter Arismendy Ozoria departed after six innings, allowing five hits, two runs (both earned), two runs, and he struck out five. Smith lasted seven frames with three hits allowed, no walks and six strikeouts.
The Loons did not strand a single runner in the game.
The Loons continue their 11-game, three-city, three-state road trip Saturday afternoon in Eastlake, OH with the first of four games against the Lake County Captains. Game time Saturday is 4pm ET. Left-hander Jarret Martin (2-1, 2.63 ERA) is scheduled to start for the Loons against Captains righty Felix Sterling (1-1, 3.03). The game will be broadcast live on ESPN 100.9-FM and ESPN1009.com.
The Great Lakes Loons are a sixth-year Single-A partner of the Los Angeles Dodgers and are in the middle of their 5th Anniversary Celebration, which kicked off in August 2011 and will continue throughout the 2012 season. For more information about the Loons, visit Loons.com or call 989-837-BALL.
Midwest League Stories from May 11, 2012
- Bees Crush Four Homers in 12-8 Win over Kernels - Burlington Bees
- River Bandits Fall 5-4 in Series Finale with Wisconsin - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Cougars Complete Sweep with Walk-Off - Kane County Cougars
- Hawks Nip TinCaps for 3-2 Victory - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Hot Rods double up Lansing - Lansing Lugnuts
- Glaesmann's Five Hits Help Hot Rods Avoid Sweep - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Rattlers go long to beat Quad Cities - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Montilla Plays Long Ball in Series-Clinching Win - South Bend Silver Hawks
- Captains Drop Finale to Dragons 5-4 - Lake County Captains
- Dragons Lose Lead, But Score Late to Win 5-4 - Dayton Dragons
- Whitecaps Rally for Win - Great Lakes Loons
- Update on Jace Peterson - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Tyler Ybarra Placed on DL - Lansing Lugnuts
- TinCaps TV Show Premieres May 21st - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- RHP Joe Ross Heads to DL - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Chiefs Win 6-2 Friday, Hoilman Hit Streak to 24 - Peoria Chiefs
- Dragons Players and Mascot to Visit Greene County Schools Next Week - Dayton Dragons
- Dragons Gameday for May 11 - Dayton Dragons
- Gaviglio, Bandits Top Wisconsin, Halt Losing Streak - Quad Cities River Bandits
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.