Wells, Cubs Roll Past GrizzliesMay 11, 2012 - Pacific Coast League (PCL) Iowa Cubs
The Grizzlies scored their only run in the bottom of the first inning. Justin Christian singled, stole second, and scored on a double by Nick Noonan. Wells (2-1) would scatter three more hits and a walk over six innings to pick up the win. It was his second quality start of the season, but his first since Opening Night.
The Cubs answered the Grizzlies' run with two of their own in the top of the second. Josh Vitters doubled and, with one out, moved to third when Jonathan Mota reached on a throwing error by Brock Bond at third base. Juan Apodaca drove in the first run with a groundout to shortstop and Wells helped himself with an RBI double over the head of Skyler Stromsmoe in left.
The Cubs took advantage of more defensive trouble for the Grizzles to open up the game in the third. Alfredo Amezaga hit a popup on the infield, but Bond took a bad route in from third and had the ball drop out of his reach for another error. Amezaga stole second and scored with one out on a single by Luis Vabuena. Vitters added a single and with two outs, Mota tripled to deep left-center to drive in two. Apodaca brought Mota home with a double off the base of the wall in right-center. All four runs were unearned, but the Cubs led 6-1.
Grizzlies' starter Yusmeiro Petit (1-2) also worked through six innings and gave up one more run on a solo homer by Valbuena in the fifth. Craig Whitaker pitched two innings in relief and allowed two runs in the eighth. After walking two batters and hitting Anthony Rizzo with a pitch, Vitters lined another hit down the left field line that drove in two. The Cubs scored their last run against Heath Hembree in the ninth. Dave Sappelt led off with a double and scored with one out on a ground out by Apodaca. Apodaca finished with a season-high three RBI in the game.
The Cubs and Grizzlies wrap up this series tomorrow night at 9:05 Central Time at Chukchansi Park. LH Travis Wood (1-3, 5.08) will start for the Cubs against LH Matt Yourkin (1-1, 4.08) for the Grizzlies. The game will be broadcast live on AM 940 with the On-Deck Circle Pre-Game Show starting at 8:45.
Pacific Coast League Stories from May 11, 2012
- Redbirds Get Swept up by Aces - Memphis Redbirds
- Round Rock Express Stymied by Salt Lake 9-6 - Round Rock Express
- Zephyrs Lose Late Lead 6-4 to Split with Padres - New Orleans Zephyrs
- Sounds Split Series with Sky Sox with 6-2 Loss on Friday - Nashville Sounds
- Aces Sweep 'Birds with Record-Tying Eighth-Straight Win - Reno Aces
- Tonight's Game Canceled - Oklahoma City RedHawks
- Baptist Memorial Health Care Partners with the Memphis Redbirds to Celebrate Their Centennial at Aut - Memphis Redbirds
- Players' Wives' Food Drive Set for Saturday at Raley Field - Sacramento River Cats
- Round Rock Express - Game Notes at Salt Lake Bees - Round Rock Express
- RedHawks Game Notes - Oklahoma City RedHawks
- RedHawks, Devon Energy Present Hometown Heroes Celebration Night Tomorrow - Oklahoma City RedHawks
- Wells, Cubs Roll Past Grizzlies - Iowa Cubs
- Isotopes Edge Rainiers, 3-2 - Tacoma Rainiers
- Ely Excellent in Delivering 'Topes a 3-2 Win - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Sacramento Knocks off Omaha - Omaha Storm Chasers
- River Cats Capitalize on Storm Chaser Errors, Win 9-4 - Sacramento River Cats
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.