Timber Rattlers Come Back to Bite River BanditsMay 9, 2012 - Midwest League (MWL) Quad Cities River Bandits
The River Bandits (17-16) lost their third straight game despite scoring first for the fifth straight contest. In the first inning, a double by left fielder Anthony Garcia plated shortstop Matt Williams, who had reached to lead off the game via a single to left. The Timber Rattlers (21-12) answered back in their half of the inning, scoring once when first baseman Jason Rogers singled to drive in left fielder Ben McMahan from second.
In the fourth, Quad Cities scored twice on second baseman Luis Mateo's two-run home run to left field. It was Mateo's third homer of the season and gave the River Bandits at least one home run in five straight games, a season-long streak. Wisconsin answered in the bottom of the fourth, plating a run on a wild pitch by Quad Cities left-hander Kyle Hald that scored Timber Rattlers shortstop Yadiel Rivera and cut the Quad Cities lead to 3-2.
Wisconsin tied the game in the fifth when Rogers singled to score McMahan, who had led off the inning with a triple to right field off Hald, who allowed three runs in a five-inning start and worked around 10 hits by striking out four batters without walking any.
Quad Cities retook the lead in the sixth, when third baseman Garrett Wittels hit a two-out double to bring in right fielder Virgil Hill. But Williams stranded catcher Juan Castillo at third when he popped out to second base to end the inning.
With a 4-3 lead and Hald in line for his first win, right-hander Brandon Creath began the sixth inning. Creath (2-2) allowed one-out singles to Rafael Neda and John Dishon but got the second out with the one-run lead intact. Designated hitter Brandon Macias then hit a game-tying double to left field, and McMahan hit a go-ahead single to Wittels at third. Rogers extended the lead with a two-run single but was thrown out trying to advance to second base. The inning ended after the Timber Rattlers had scored four runs on five hits - including three straight with two outs - and taken a 7-4 lead into the final three innings.
In the seventh, River Bandits designated hitter Roberto De La Cruz cut the lead to 7-5 with his third home run of the season and second in as many games. But Wisconsin got the run back in the eighth on center fielder Chadwin Stang's RBI single off right-hander Ethan Cole.
Quad Cities put runners on second and third with nobody out in the ninth, but right-hander Seth Harvey came on with one out to strike out De La Cruz and Garcia to end the game. Harvey notched his sixth save of the season.
The River Bandits and Timber Rattlers will play again Thursday night at 6:35 p.m. Right-hander Sam Gaviglio (1-2) will start for Quad Cities against Wisconsin right-hander David Goforth (3-1).
UP NEXT: The River Bandits return to Modern Woodmen Park for AUSA Military Appreciation Night at 7 p.m. Saturday against the Cedar Rapids Kernels. There will be $2 drink specials at the ballpark, as well as postgame fireworks, presented by 101.3 KISS-FM. Single-game tickets are on sale at the River Bandits box office at Modern Woodmen Park, by phone at (563) 3-BANDIT and online at www.riverbandits.com. Season ticket and mini-plan packages start at just seven games and begin at less than $50. Call a River Bandits account representative today to choose your seats and get the details of our various mini-plan packages.
Midwest League Stories from May 9, 2012
- Timber Rattlers Come Back to Bite River Bandits - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Loons Win Pitchers' Duel - Great Lakes Loons
- Wisconsin pounds out a win over Quad Cities - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Bees Doomed from Start vs. Kernels, 14-2 - Burlington Bees
- Kernels blast Bees, 14-2 - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Hoilman Breaks Hit Streak Record, Chiefs Lose 2-1 - Peoria Chiefs
- Lugs ride Walden, end losing streak - Lansing Lugnuts
- Sale Drives Home First Run But Hot Rods Fall in Lansing - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Cougars Rally to Beat LumberKings - Kane County Cougars
- Colon Dazzles the Dragons, Captains Defeat Dayton 4-1 - Lake County Captains
- Colon, Lake County Top Dragons 4-1 - Dayton Dragons
- Hot Rods Homestand Notes for May 12-15 - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Garrido Receives First Promotion of Season - Kane County Cougars
- Final Scheduled High School Game at Fifth Third Field - Dayton Dragons
- Portillo Leads Fort Wayne to 5-2 Win - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Hawks Held Hitless into Seventh, Fall 5-2 - South Bend Silver Hawks
- Dragons Announce Roster Changes - Dayton Dragons
- Dragons Gameday for May 9 - Dayton Dragons
- Cuevas, Loons Take Game, Series from SB - Great Lakes Loons
- Dragons Split Marathon Doubleheader with Fort Wayne - Dayton Dragons
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.