Myrtle Beach Falls in 9th, 4-3May 5, 2012 - Carolina League (CarL) Myrtle Beach Pelicans
Tied at three in the bottom of the ninth, Lynchburg shortstop Nick Ahmed reached on a one-out single. He then stole second and advanced to third base on a wild pitch by Pelicans lefty reliever Jimmy Reyes. Myrtle Beach then walked Tommy La Stella to set up the double play. With runners at the corners and one out, Reyes got his double play ball off the bat of Tim Smith, but Santiago Chirino dropped the ball at second after applying a tag to La Stella. Smith reached first safely and Ahmed scored to win, 4-3.
Myrtle Beach had scored the first run of the night just two batters into the game. Cafe Martinez popped up a bunt that fell for a hit. Catcher Braeden Schlehuber then threw the ball away trying to get Martinez at first. That sent the runner to second ahead of a Jared Hoying single off the glove of third baseman Edward Salcedo. The deflection allowed Martinez to reach third, however, not without an attempt at the out from Salcedo. The third baseman threw the ball to leftfield and the run scored for an early 1-0 advantage.
Lynchburg responded with two runs in the second, but the Pelicans tied the game in the third with a sac fly from Christian Villanueva. Lynchburg scored to go up 3-2 in the fourth only to watch the Pelicans again tie the game at three in the sixth. The final Birds run came in courtesy of an RBI groundout from Villanueva.
Offensively, Hoying led the Pelicans with three singles, his second three hit game in three nights. Edwin Garcia also had two knocks, including a double. Brett Nicholas went 0-4 to snap a seven game hitting streak.
The Pelicans (15-13) look to take a series victory Sunday when the two teams meet at 2:05. Kyle Hendricks fires against JR Graham for Lynchburg. Follow the game on FOX Sports 1050AM or 101.9FM and online at MyrtleBeachPelicans.com.
Carolina League Stories from May 5, 2012
- Dash Fall Short against Salem - Winston-Salem Dash
- Ninth-Inning Fireworks Salt An 8-3 Win - Wilmington Blue Rocks
- Barnes Ks a Dozen in Dominant Debut; Salem Prevails 6-4 - Salem Red Sox
- Wilmington Defeats Potomac 8-3 - Potomac Nationals
- Myrtle Beach Falls in 9th, 4-3 - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- Weird Walk-Off Snaps Hillcats Losing Streak - Lynchburg Hillcats
- Mudcats, Keys Postponed - Carolina Mudcats
- Hillcats Game Notes - Lynchburg Hillcats
- Blue Rocks Game Notes - Wilmington Blue Rocks
- Mudcats Game Notes - May 5 - Carolina Mudcats
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.