Swynenberg Shuts Down Pelicans in Complete GameApril 29, 2012 - Carolina League (CarL) Myrtle Beach Pelicans
For the second night in a row the Pelicans jumped on the board first, scoring off Potomac's Matt Swynenberg with two hits in the second. Brett Nicholas led off with a double down the leftfield chalk. He scored two batters later on a Cookie Castillo single to left for a 1-0 lead.
That's where the offense halted for the Pelicans, however. Castillo was gunned down on the play, 7-2-4-3 after taking a wide turn around first. It would start a string of 19 consecutive batters retired by Swynenberg. The Nationals righty didn't allow a hit the rest of the way and walked only Josh Richmond in the ninth en route to a complete game win.
Potomac's offense back Swynenberg up in the third and sixth innings against Roman Mendez. The Pelicans rigthy was brilliant in his own right, allowing just two runs in six and two-thirds innings while striking out nine and walking three. He was touched for those two runs, though. Blake Kelso singled in Sean Nicole in the third and Zach Walters hit a sac fly to score Francisco Soriano in the sixth.
Mendez was saddled with the loss, his third. The win went to Swynenberg.
The loss drops Myrtle Beach to 12-10 and lifts Potomac to 8-12. The Pelicans return to action on Monday at Harry Grove Stadium, beginning a four game series with the Frederick Keys. First pitch Monday is at 7:00. For more information head online to MyrtleBeachPelicans.com.
Carolina League Stories from April 29, 2012
- Salem Completes Sweep of Mudcats - Carolina Mudcats
- Couch Controls Carolina & Sox Sweep Cats - Salem Red Sox
- Dash Take Seventh Straight in Weekend Sweep - Wilmington Blue Rocks
- Keys Rally Falls Short, Get Swept at Home - Frederick Keys
- Dash Whack Rocks, Extend Win Streak to 7 - Winston-Salem Dash
- Hillcats Survive Late Scare, Win 7-6 - Lynchburg Hillcats
- Swynenberg Masterful in P-Nats Win - Potomac Nationals
- Swynenberg Shuts Down Pelicans in Complete Game - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- Mudcats Game Notes - April 29 - Carolina Mudcats
- Hillcats Game Notes - Lynchburg Hillcats
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.