Chicago Recalls Castillo, Apodaca Joins I-CubsApril 28, 2012 - Pacific Coast League (PCL) Iowa Cubs
Castillo is batting .320 (16-for-50) with four doubles, two home runs, eight RBI, and six runs scored in 16 games with Iowa this season. He is tied for second in the Pacific Coast League in throwing out runners trying to steal. He is 7-for-14 (.500) on the year. Castillo batted .286 with 15 homers and 35 RBI in 61 games for Iowa last season and was selected to the PCL All-Star team. Castillo has spent time with Chicago in each of the last two seasons and has batted .242 (8-for-33) with four doubles, a home run, and five RBI in 11 major league games.
Apodaca batted .207 (6-for-29) with three doubles and one RBI in 11 games with the Smokies this season. He also drew seven walks while striking out five times. Behind the plate, he was 3-for-14 (.214) in throwing out opposing base runners. The Cubs signed Apodaca as a minor league free agent in January. Last season, he hit .184 (16-for-87) in 30 games with double-A Akron in the Cleveland Indians organization. He was on the disabled list from June 30-August 24 with a broken toe on his left foot. Apodaca originally signed with the Los Angeles Dodgers in 2003 as a first basemen and converted to catcher in 2004. He was selected by the Cincinnati Reds in the Rule 5 Draft in 2007 and then traded to the Boston Red Sox. This is his 10th season in minor league baseball. He came into this season with a career batting average of .247 with 37 home runs and 207 RBI. His only other triple-A experience was 14 games with Pawtucket in 2010. Apodaca is 25 years old and hails from Caracas, VZ.
The Cubs and Sounds square off tonight at 7:05 at Principal Park. The first 2,000 fans will receive a Cubbie Bear garden statue sponsored by Musco Lighting. The game will be broadcast live on AM 940 with the pre-game show starting at 6:45.
Pacific Coast League Stories from April 28, 2012
- Isotopes Outlast Zephyrs in 12-Inning Battle - New Orleans Zephyrs
- Six-run first inning too much for E-Train to overcome - Round Rock Express
- RedHawks Ride Past Express, 11-5 - Oklahoma City RedHawks
- Sounds Shut Out Cubs, Snap Losing Streak - Iowa Cubs
- Aces Win Third-Straight, 5-2, over Bees - Reno Aces
- Isotopes Edge Zephyrs 4-3 in 12 Innings - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Chasers Drop 'Birds - Memphis Redbirds
- Sounds Back on Winning Track with Shutout of I-Cubs - Nashville Sounds
- Hollingsworth Helps Omaha Handle Memphis - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Chicago Recalls Castillo, Apodaca Joins I-Cubs - Iowa Cubs
- Round Rock Express - Game Notes at Oklahoma City RedHawks - Round Rock Express
- RedHawks Game Notes - Oklahoma City RedHawks
- Sky Sox Return Favor, Shut Out Grizzlies - Fresno Grizzlies
- Tucson wins 5-1 - Tucson Padres
- Sacramento Falls to Tucson, 5-1 - Sacramento River Cats
- Rainiers Blanked By Las Vegas - Tacoma Rainiers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.