Earthquakes Grab First Place in Western ConferenceApril 22, 2012 - Major League Soccer (MLS) San Jose Earthquakes
With the win, which marks No. 100 for San Jose head coach Frank Yallop as an MLS head coach, the Earthquakes (5-1-1, 16 pts.) move ahead of Real Salt Lake (5-3-0, 15 pts.) and into first-place in the West.
Just as it was looking as though RSL would hang onto a point in the waning minutes playing two men down following a pair of red-card ejections, Dawkins latched onto a Steven Beitashour cross from the right side in and headed a shot into the far corner for a 2-1 edge.
Seconds later, a combination between Tressor Moreno and Khari Stephenson found Chris Wondolowski unmarked on the back post, and the Quakes star clinched the full three points with a header. He now has a league-leading eight goals on the season and he has scored 16 goals in the Quakes past 16 games.
The Quakes grabbed the initial lead just before halftime as Stephenson headed home Beitashour's cross from the right side. Stephenson met the ball in the center of the penalty box and headed it down to the ground and toward the far corner. Veteran RSL goalkeeper Nick Rimando got his hand to it, but was unable to keep it out as Stephenson tallied his first goal of 2012.
Kyle Beckerman scored the lone goal for RSL after breaking through the Quakes defense early in the second half. He eluded two Quakes defenders and fired a shot to the near post and past Quakes goalkeeper Jon Busch.
Real Salt Lake finished the game with only nine men after red cards to Fabian Espindola and Jamison Olave.
The Earthquakes hit the road next weekend for a date with the Philadelphia Union on Saturday, April 28 at PPL Park. Kickoff is 4 p.m. PT on Comcast SportsNet Bay Area, 1590 KLIV and 1370 KZSF.
Major League Soccer Stories from April 22, 2012
- Timbers Defeat Whitecaps FC 3-0 in MLS Reserve League - Portland Timbers
- New York Falls to D.C. United, 4-1 - New York Red Bulls
- RSL drops second consecutive game - Real Salt Lake
- Timbers End Sporting KC Winning Streak with 1-0 Victory - Portland Timbers
- FC Dallas Falls 1-0 to Whitecaps in Vancouver - FC Dallas
- Nine-Man Philadelphia Union Edge Chivas USA, 1-0 - Philadelphia Union
- Earthquakes Grab First Place in Western Conference - San Jose Earthquakes
- Vancouver defeats FC Dallas 0 - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Sporting KC Winning Streak Snapped in 1-0 Defeat at Portland Timbers - Sporting Kansas City
- Dynamo play to a draw - Houston Dynamo
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.