Shorebirds Game NotesApril 14, 2012 - South Atlantic League (SAL) Delmarva Shorebirds
April 14, 2012 | Arthur W. Perdue Stadium | Salisbury, MD | 7:05 PM
Radio: ESPN Radio 960 | Online: www.960thesportsanimal.com
Pitching Matchup: RHP Tyler Wilson (1-0, 5.40) vs. LHP Charlie Lowell (0-0, 11.25)
STAT OF THE GAME: The Shorebirds lead the SAL in hit-by-pitches taken (11) and sacrifice flies (5). The Shorebirds also rank second in the SAL in stolen bases (16) and third in walks taken (44). They ranks sixth in the league in runs scored (43).
PREVIEW: Following their fourth straight loss by one run, the Shorebirds gear up for game three of the series against Greensboro. The Shorebirds mounted a late rally for a second straight night with one run in the tenth, but left the tying run at second base. The Shorebirds are below .500 for the first time this season. The Shorebirds have already played five one run games, most in the South Atlantic League.
26 STRAIGHT: In last night's game, Shorebirds pitching held 26 consecutive Greensboro batters without a hit between the third and tenth innings. During the span, six base runners reached on a walk or hit by pitch.
RUETTIGER'S RANKINGS: Shorebirds OF John Ruettiger is tied with Buck Britton for the Orioles minor league lead with 11 hits after a 3-hit day yesterday. He also ranks third in the system with a .355 batting average and first in the organization with five stolen bases.
6 HITS IN LAST FOUR: Glynn Davis has six hits in his last four games to boost his batting average to .308. He has also recorded four walks over the last three games. Davis was 3-for-16 in his first four games and is 6-for-13 in his last four.
BUNDY'S EXCELLENCE: In six perfect innings this season, Dylan Bundy has not allowed a hit or a run. In fact, he has not allowed a base runner. Bundy has retired all 18 batters that have come to the plate against him. The Orioles first round pick has 12 strikeouts, which ranks sixth in the SAL. Three players pace the SAL with 15 strikeouts (The fewest innings pitched of the three is 9.0).
0-FOR-16: The Shorebirds went 0-for-16 last night with runners in scoring position and left 12 base runners. The Shorebirds are 1-for-22 in the series when hitting with runners in scoring position.
STARTING PITCHING: Shorebirds starting pitching has struck out 40 batters in 37.2 innings in nine games. They have walked 12. The starters have allowed 14 earned runs (3.38 ERA) on 30 hits so far. No starter has allowed more than five hits or three runs.
South Atlantic League Stories from April 14, 2012
- Power beat Greenville Drive - West Virginia Power
- Braves Fall to Charleston 8-5 - Rome Braves
- RiverDogs Drop Rome 8-5 - Charleston RiverDogs
- Pitching Keys Shorebirds' 4-0 Win Over Grasshoppers - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Large Crowd Sees Jackets Drop Second Straight - Augusta GreenJackets
- Kannapolis Tops Lexington, 3-1 - Lexington Legends
- Kannapolis Tops Legends, 3-1 - Lexington Legends
- Tourists Blast Past Crawdads 11-3 - Asheville Tourists
- Tourists Top 'Dads on Saturday Evening - Hickory Crawdads
- Big Innings Boost Blue Claws Over Suns - Hagerstown Suns
- Two Big Innings Propel BlueClaws 14-4 - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Power Game Notes - West Virginia Power
- Dylan Bundy to Make First Home Start on Tuesday - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Shorebirds Game Notes - Delmarva Shorebirds
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.