Kirk and Powless Named to East All-Star TeamFebruary 8, 2012 - National Lacrosse League (NLL) Rochester Knighthawks
The duo will join Cody Jamieson and Pat McCready at the event, which will take place at 7:00 p.m. on Saturday, February 25th in Buffalo at First Niagara Center. The game will air on ESPN3. Both Kirk and Powless will make their All-Star debuts in Buffalo.
Kirk, 29, is in his sixth season inthe NLLand first with the Knighthawks. He arrived in Rochester afterspending the last twoseasons in Boston. The defenseman has played in 85 career games and recorded 297 loose balls. The Orangeville, Ontario, native was originally selected in the third round (27th overall) of the 2006 NLL Entry Draft by the Chicago Shamrox. In the summer of 2011, he won his third Mann Cup with the Brampton Excelsiors.
"It's a great honor to be selected for this year's All-Star Game and I am excited to represent the Rochester Knighthawks. It should be a fun night, where we can watch the best players in the world showcase their talents," said Kirk.
Powless stands sixth on the team with 16 points, which includes nine goals. Powless was the Knighthawks' first-round selection (fifth overall) in the 2011 NLL Entry Draft. He recorded 111 goals and 69 assists for 180 points in just 43 games in two seasons with the Junior "A" Six Nations Arrows. This summer, he won the Gaylord Powless Award as the Junior "A" Most Sportsmanlike Player and was named a Second Team All-Star. Powless led the lacrosse league in scoring with 65 goals and was fourth with 102 points. In 2010, he won the Joe Nieuwendyk Award as the Junior "A" Rookie of the Year. Now he adds All-Star Game selection to his list if lacrosse accomplishments.
"I was pretty surprised. I am really excited to play with all the great players," said the modest 18-year-old forward. This past weekend, he scored two goals and added two assists in a 16-14 win over the Minnesota Swarm. He has recorded points in all five games since turning pro.
"I was just really happy. That was one of my goals this season was to win Rookie of the Week," said Powless, who has enjoyed his pro lacrosse experience. "Everything has been great. I really enjoy spending the weekend with the boys."
The Knighthawks will spend this weekend in Minnesota, as they take on the Swarm on Sunday, February 12th at 3:00 p.m. at the Xcel Energy Center. Rochester defeated Minnesota on February 4th to improve to 2-3. Sunday's game will be broadcast live on Sportsradio 950 ESPN and www.sportsradio950espn.com.
National Lacrosse League Stories from February 8, 2012
- Two Washington Stealth Stars Named to 2012 NLL All-Star Team - Washington Stealth
- Kirk and Powless Named to East All-Star Team - Rochester Knighthawks
- Wings Players to Wear Twitter Handles on Uniforms for February 12th Game - Philadelphia Wings
- Minnesota Swarm Sends Three More to the 2012 All-Star Game - Minnesota Swarm
- Duch, Roik, Rabil & Powless Honored - NLL
- Matt Roik Named NLL Defensive Player of the Week - Toronto Rock
- Three Roughnecks Named to West All-Star Roster - Calgary Roughnecks
- Two Bandits Added as All-Star Game Reserves - Buffalo Bandits
- Four Players Heading to All-Star Game - Edmonton Rush
- Philadelphia Wings Add Dawson, Seibald, Crowley as East Division All Star Reserves - Philadelphia Wings
- Colin Doyle Among 5 Rock All-Stars - Toronto Rock
- Captain Prout Named West Division All-Star - Colorado Mammoth
- Full Lineups Announced for NLL All-Star Game on February 25th - NLL
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.