Amerks Drop Overtime Decision to Marlies, 2-1January 13, 2012 - American Hockey League (AHL) Rochester Americans
"We didn't do what we needed to in the second period, and probably had about 10-15 turnovers in the neutral zone which led to us spending a lot of time in our own end," said Amerks Head Coach Ron Rolston.
David Leggio started in goal for the third consecutive game and once again was strong between the pipes for Rochester, finishing with 39 saves after turning aside 49 in his last appearance on Sunday in Hershey. In his last three starts, Leggio has stopped 130 of 137 shots for a .949 save percentage.
"This is (Leggio's) third really good performance (in a row) for us. He's a competitor, so that is another positive for our team," Rolston said.
Travis Turnbull picked up the lone goal for the Amerks in the contest, with the assists going to Alex Biega and Mark Voakes.
Marlies goaltender Ben Scrivens stopped 25 of 26 Rochester shots to pick up the win in goal for Toronto, while Frattin and Matt Caruana lit the lamp offensively. Veteran forward Mike Zigomanis assisted on both of the Toronto's tallies.
Each goaltender came up with a plethora of big saves throughout the contest for their respective clubs, highlighted by Leggio's denial of Nicolas Deschamps on a breakaway attempt late in the second period and a sprawling rebound stop with the glove on Philippe Dupuis in the closing seconds of regulation.
After a scoreless opening period in which neither team was able to muster up much offense, the Marlies got on the board just over five minutes into the middle frame. Caruana finished off a well-executed line rush, as he deflected home a centering pass from Zigomanis while streaking to the net.
The Amerks found the back of the net at 11:47 of the second on the power play to even the score at one apiece. Turnbull jammed the rebound of a Biega point shot past Scrivens from just outside the blue paint to notch his fourth goal of the season.
Toronto's game-winning goal came on the power-play at 2:31 of overtime, as Frattin blasted a one-timed slapper to the top shelf from the right face-off dot.
Rochester remains at home on Saturday as the Hamilton Bulldogs make their way to Western New York for the second time in as many weeks. The 7:35 matchup will be the eighth of 10 get-togethers between the North Division rivals this season and can be heard live on 107.3 FM and 1280 AM, Rochester's Sports Talk.
American Hockey League Stories from January 13, 2012
- Admirals Fall to Wolves, Drop Third Straight - Milwaukee Admirals
- Wolves Win Fifth Straight with 2-1 Victory Over Milwaukee - Chicago Wolves
- Aeros Hold off Rivermen 2-1 - Peoria Rivermen
- B-Sens Fall Flat in 5-2 Loss to Crunch - Binghamton Senators
- Smith, IceHogs Knock off Barons in OT - Rockford IceHogs
- Amerks Drop Overtime Decision to Marlies, 2-1 - Rochester Americans
- Monarchs Unlucky on Friday the 13th - Manchester Monarchs
- 13 Is Lucky Number for Phantoms - Adirondack Phantoms
- Aeros hold on for a 2-1 win - Houston Aeros
- Stars' Surge Too Much for Griffins - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Admirals Cruise Past Whale - Norfolk Admirals
- Sateri Does the Monster Mash on Friday the 13th with 1-0 Win - Worcester Sharks
- Admirals win over Whale - Connecticut Whale
- Phantoms Edge Bulldogs 5-4 - Hamilton Bulldogs
- P-Bruins Fall to Sharks - Providence Bruins
- Panthers Aquire Ondrej Roman from Dallas in Exchange for Angelo - San Antonio Rampage
- Streaking Stars Stay Hot, Beat Griffins 6-4 in a Wild One - Texas Stars
- Crunch Roll to a 5-2 Win in Binghamton - Syracuse Crunch
- Sound Tigers Shoot Past Monarchs 4-2 - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Dallas Trades Ondrej Roman for Angelo Esposito - Texas Stars
- Great Skate Winterfest Returns January 21-22 with Snowboarding "Rail Jam" and Dog Sled Rides - Grand Rapids Griffins
- B-Sens Maintain Pricing on Season Ticket Packages for Third Consecutive Year - Binghamton Senators
- Outdoor Classic Fan Shuttles Launched - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Whale's Game Saturday to be Aired on Beethoven - Connecticut Whale
- Worcester Sharks to Host Online Jersey Auction to Benefit the 15-40 Connection - Worcester Sharks
- Gameday Preview - Texas at Grand Rapids - Texas Stars
- Blackhawks Assign Smith to Rockford - Rockford IceHogs
- Sound Tigers Sign Landry to PTO - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Give Blood; Watch Hockey - Peoria Rivermen
- Jets Re-Assign Cormier to IceCaps - St. John's IceCaps
- Webster Bank Arena Hero Honored - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Falcons Host Pirates Tonight - Springfield Falcons
- Button Assigned to Reading - Providence Bruins
- Crunch Announce Time Warner Cable Buy One Get One Games - Syracuse Crunch
- B-Sens Reassign Max Gratchev to Elmira - Binghamton Senators
- Aeros Game Day, January 13: Aeros at Peoria - Houston Aeros
- Griffins Ride Seven-Game Point Streak into Tonight's Tussle with Texas - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Losing Streak Continues with 4-0 Loss in Peoria - Lake Erie Monsters
- Rivermen End First Half with Bishop's Sixth Shutout - Peoria Rivermen
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.