Nachbaur at 499 Career WinsJanuary 9, 2012 - Western Hockey League (WHL) Spokane Chiefs
Nachbaur will also join Ken Hodge (742), Ernie McClean (548) and Pat Ginnell (518) on the list of coaches who have broken the 500 win barrier.
After a 15-year professional playing career Nachbaur enjoyed his first season on the bench with the Seattle Thunderbirds in 1994-95 winning his first of three Dunc McCallum Memorial Trophies as the league's top coach. The Thunderbirds won 42 games that season. In total, he would tally 202 wins on the Seattle bench.
He spent two seasons with the Philadelphia Phantoms of the American Hockey League as an assistant coach before returning the WHL with the Tri-City Americans in 2003-04. In six seasons, he won a total of 229 games. His 2007-08 club won a career high 52 games and he was feted once again as the league's top coach.
Nachbaur spent one season in the AHL as the head coach of the Binghampton Senators before returning to the WHL with the Chiefs in 2010-11. The Chiefs won 48 games last year and advanced to the Western Conference Finals. In his 13th season as a head coach, he won his third WHL Coach of the Year award.
This year, Spokane has won 20 games, including the last three, and has Nachbaur just one win away from history.
Spokane will play three games in four nights this week, including two at home. The Chiefs host Everett on Wednesday night before travelling to their building on Friday. Tri-City will visit the Arena on Saturday night.
Tickets for all home games are available by calling the Chiefs office at (509) 535-PUCK (7825) or TicketsWest at (800) 325-SEAT (7328).
CAREER WHL WINS
Ken Hodge (EDM, POR) - 742
Ernie McLean (EST, NWM) - 548
Lorne Molleken (MJ,REG,SAS*) - 543
Don Hay (KAM,TRI,VAN*)- 541
Pat Ginnell (FF,VIC,LET,MH,NWM) - 518
Don Nachbaur (SEA,TRI,SPO*) - 499
*active head coach
Western Hockey League Stories from January 9, 2012
- Kamloops Blazers Week in Review - Kamloops Blazers
- Wheat Kings Acquire Sundher - Brandon Wheat Kings
- Royals Acquire Two Players from Wheat Kings - Victoria Royals
- Oil Kings Acquire Draft Pick - Edmonton Oil Kings
- Winterhawks Acquire Rights to Cam Reid - Portland Winterhawks
- Nachbaur at 499 Career Wins - Spokane Chiefs
- Broncos Make Deal with Giants - Swift Current Broncos
- Vancouver Giants Launch BMO Ultimate Fan Contest - Vancouver Giants
- Vancouver Giants Trade Levi Bews to Swift Current for 6th Round Pick - Vancouver Giants
- $13 for the 13th - Regina Pats
- Hurricanes Trade Captain Cam Braes to Moose Jaw - Lethbridge Hurricanes
- Enter to Win Trip for Two to Canucks Game - Prince George Cougars
- Weekly Ice Report - Kootenay Ice
- Warriors Acquire Cam Braes From Lethbridge - Moose Jaw Warriors
- Americans Deal Guenther to Raiders - Tri-City Americans
- Raiders Acquire Guenther - Prince Albert Raiders
- Vancouver Giants Acquire Defenceman Tyler Vanscourt from Moose Jaw Warriors - Vancouver Giants
- Vanscourt Traded to Giants - Moose Jaw Warriors
- Pat Chat - Regina Pats
- Raiders this Week - Prince Albert Raiders
- Vancouver Giants' Brendan Gallagher Named WHL Player of the Week - WHL
- Winterhawks Sign Alex Schoenborn - Portland Winterhawks
- Rogers Fan Camp Deadline Draws Near - Brandon Wheat Kings
- Blues Sign Reaves - Brandon Wheat Kings
- BMO Ultimate Fan Event Coming to Moose Jaw - Moose Jaw Warriors
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.