Spikes Produce with the Bases Juiced to Beat IronBirds, 5-2August 9, 2011 - New York-Penn League (NYPL) State College Spikes
Chris Lashmet brought in a pair of runs for State College (21-31) with the bags filled in the first inning to give the Spikes a 2-0 lead, with Junior Sosa adding a bases-clearing double in the fourth inning to complete the State College scoring.
Pitching with the lead for much of the game, Jefferson (2-1) kept Aberdeen (18-33) off the board throughout his five innings on the mound. The left-hander from Louisiana Tech got out of a bases-loaded jam in the first inning, then allowed just one hit over the next three innings. Jefferson's five innings on the mound set a new career high, and the southpaw yielded a total of four hits and two walks while striking out three.
Jordan Cooper then held onto the lead for the Spikes for the next three innings on the mound, despite allowing two unearned runs off of a pair of errors in the eighth inning. Cliff Archibald (1) then earned his first save of the season by getting out of a bases-loaded situation in the ninth inning.
Wes Freeman produced his tenth multi-hit game since July 22 with a 2-for-4 performance. The Spikes outfielder is hitting a blistering .421 with a .605 slugging percentage as the leadoff man in the lineup for the month of August.
IronBirds starter Parker Bridwell (2-5) took the loss after allowing all five State College runs on six hits and four walks while striking out three over five innings.
The Spikes have now won 9 of their last 11 games, and have nine hits in their last 15 at-bats with the bases loaded after starting the year 0-for-23 with every bag occupied.
Wednesday, the Spikes and IronBirds meet at Medlar Field at Lubrano Park for the second game of their three-game series. State College is slated to send right-hander Nick Kingham (2-2) to the mound. Kingham currently sits eighth in the league in earned run average with a 2.80 mark. The 2009 fourth-round pick has also sparkled at home, with a 22-to-1 strikeout-to-walk ratio.
Aberdeen will send right-hander Tyler Wilson (0-0) to the mound for just his second start with the IronBirds in 2011.
Fans can take a trip to Medlar Field at Lubrano Park for Central PA's Best Family Value on Half-Price Wednesday, presented by BIG Froggy 101. Outfield Bleacher tickets are available at half-price, and fans can also enjoy half-price select beers from 6-8 p.m., as well as half-price medium sodas all game long.
The first 1,000 fans through the gates when they open at 6 p.m. will also receive Garden Gnomes, presented by Sanitary Maintenance, and males will get the chance to enjoy a little man time on Guys Night Out, with a special package available for the night that combines a Field Box ticket, 6 wings and a drink for just $15. The Spikes will also present another Centre County United Way Partner Agency Series Night, and all fans can purchase Diamond Club seats for $8.11 apiece as Columbia Gas 811 Night extends throughout the Aberdeen series.
Groups can also take advantage of the Spikes' new "20 for $200 Special," while Half-Season Tickets are now also available for as low as $114 per seat. For more information on these special offers, contact a Spikes ticket specialist at (814) 272-1711.
Tickets for Wednesday's game, as well as every Spikes regular season home game, are currently on sale through the Spikes Box Office by calling (814) 272-1711 or by visiting in person. Fans can also buy and print single-game tickets by visiting StateCollegeSpikes.com.
Catch all of the action on Wednesday via the Spikes Radio Network at 6:35 p.m. with the Spikes GameDay Show live from the concourse at Medlar Field at Lubrano Park. The Spikes' radio broadcast can also be heard worldwide through the "Listen Live" link on StateCollegeSpikes.com, provided by 95.3 FM 3WZ.
New York-Penn League Stories from August 9, 2011
- Martinez's Single Wins it for Cutters - Williamsport Crosscutters
- Spikes Produce with the Bases Juiced to Beat IronBirds, 5-2 - State College Spikes
- Spikes Halt IronBirds' Win Streak at Five - Aberdeen IronBirds
- Jammers Rained out at Connecticut - Jamestown Jammers
- Tigers-Jammers Game Postponed Due to Rain - Connecticut Tigers
- Muckdogs-Cyclones Game Postponed Due to Rain - Batavia Muckdogs
- 5 Cutters Chosen for All Star Game - Williamsport Crosscutters
- Four Scrappers Named to All-Star Roster - Mahoning Valley Scrappers
- State College Spikes Game Notes - August 9 Vs. Aberdeen - State College Spikes
- Aberdeen IronBirds Game Notes - Aberdeen IronBirds
- Four Jammers Named to the All-Star Game - Jamestown Jammers
- Dean Green and Brennan Smith Selected to 2011 All-Star Game - Connecticut Tigers
- Al Kaline Night a Booming Success - Connecticut Tigers
- Trio of Outfielders, Cecchini to Represent Spinners at All-Star Game in Lowell - Lowell Spinners
- A League Leading Six Muckdogs Named NYPL All-Stars - Batavia Muckdogs
- Bark In The Park, Paint The Park Pink Highlight Spikes' Six-Game Homestand - State College Spikes
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.