Wilson Deals Sea Dogs Past Flying Squirrels, 7-2August 7, 2011 - Eastern League (EL) Portland Sea Dogs
Two batters into the game, the Sea Dogs got on the board. Ryan Khoury took a 1-2 pitch, and deposited a long home run over the center field wall. In the second inning, Richmond drew even. Juan Perez led off the frame with a double, then proceeded to come around to score, when Wendell Fairley reached on a two-base error by shortstop Heiker Meneses.
The score remained tied until the fifth, when Portland broke the deadlock with a three-run inning. The first six batters of the frame reached base on five hits and one walk. Ryan Khoury produced the go-ahead run on a single to left field that drove in Heiker Meneses. After Alex Hassan walked and Mark Wagner singled, Will Middlebrooks was responsible for driving in the next two runs, blooping a single into right field to score Khoury and Hassan.
The Sea Dogs added three more runs in the ninth. Jeremy Hazelbaker started the inning with a single, before quickly stealing second base. Ryan Khoury followed with a walk, before he and Hazelbaker each proceeded to steal the next base (Hazelbaker to third, Khoury to second). After Alex Hassan struck out, Mark Wagner lifted a ball to right field that was dropped by Francisco Peguero, allowing Hazelbaker to score. After that, Will Middlebrooks doubled to drive in Khoury, before Wagner came around to score on a wild pitch.
The Flying Squirrels put one run on the board in their half of the ninth on a solo home run by Jackson Williams, but ended up on the short end of a 7-2 final score.
Alex Wilson (9-4) earned the win for the Portland, going six innings, allowing one run on six hits, while striking out five. Justin Fitzgerald (8-6) took the loss for Richmond, lasting four and one-third innings, allowing four runs, seven hits, and two walks, while striking out five.
The Sea Dogs will have Monday off, before beginning a six-game homestand against the Akron Aeros and Erie SeaWolves. Tuesday's series opener with the Aeros starts at 7:00, with Charlie Haeger (1-0, 4.50) getting the nod for Portland, and Matt Packer (5-10, 4.38) pitching for Akron.
Eastern League Stories from August 7, 2011
- Miclat Steals Past Fisher Cats - Bowie Baysox
- B-Mets Answer Bell in Rubber Match, 7-4 - Binghamton Mets
- Hechavarria Goes 3-For-5 with 2 RBI in Loss to Baysox - New Hampshire Fisher Cats
- Picart Blasts Altoona to Series Victory Against Trenton - Altoona Curve
- Late Homerun Sends Thunder to Series Loss - Trenton Thunder
- Wilson Deals Sea Dogs Past Flying Squirrels, 7-2 - Portland Sea Dogs
- Sea Dogs Avoid Sweep Attempt, Claim Finale, 7-2 - Richmond Flying Squirrels
- Aeros Erupt For 10 Runs, Take Rubber Match From Rock Cats - Akron Aeros
- 'Wolves Drop Finale to Senators - Erie SeaWolves
- Richmond Flying Squirrels Game Notes - Richmond Flying Squirrels
- Portland Sea Dogs Game Notes - Portland Sea Dogs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.