Fitzgerald Error Lifts Lugs In 9th, 4-3June 2, 2011 - Midwest League (MWL) Lansing Lugnuts
Peoria, the top offensive team in the Midwest League, pounded out 20 hits in avoiding the three-game road sweep at first place Lansing.
After falling behind 4-0 and 5-1 early, the Lugs chipped away at the deficit with solo tallies in the fifth and sixth innings before tying the game at 5-5 in the seventh against reliever Alvaro Sosa. Third baseman Bryson Namba drove home Michael Crouse with a double, coming home to score on a wild pitch to trim the deficit to 5-4. After a Markus Brisker walk, Kevin Nolan hit a lazy fly ball to right field that D.J. Fitzgerald couldn't handle, bringing in Brisker to tie the game.
But the Chiefs stopped the Lugs' momentum immediately, scoring two runs in the eighth and four runs in the ninth against reliever Alex Pepe (Loss, 2-2), capped off by a Richard Jones two-out, two RBI double to left-center.
Lugnuts manager Mike Redmond was ejected in the midst of the ninth inning rally after disputing two consecutive close calls on the basepaths with umpire Chris Gonzalez.
Peoria reliever Casey Harman (Win, 1-1) shut down the Lugnuts offense in the last two innings, facing one batter above the minimum and striking out four.
In the winning effort, Chiefs center fielder Matt Szczur went 4-for-6 with three runs scored and his third home run of the season.
Namba, Crouse and Nolan each notched a pair of hits for the Lugnuts in the loss.
The Lugnuts will start lefty Sean Nolin (1-1, 2.61) against the Western Division leading Burlington Bees' right-hander Jose Macias (1-0, 0.82) in the opener of a three-game series on Friday night. First pitch is slated for 7:05 p.m. on Jackson Field, with postgame LAFCU Fireworks.
Tickets are available for purchase online at www.lansinglugnuts.com, at the stadium box office, and by calling 517-485-4500.
Midwest League Stories from June 2, 2011
- LumberKings Hold off Fort Wayne 9-8 - Clinton LumberKings
- Well Dunn: Rattlers Beat Hot Rods 6-3 - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Loons Walk off with the Series Win - Great Lakes Loons
- Clinton Outlasts TinCaps, 9-8 - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Fitzgerald Error Lifts Lugs In 9th, 4-3 - Lansing Lugnuts
- Whitecaps Swept By River Bandits - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Dragons Double Up Beloit 4-2 - Dayton Dragons
- Loons Win 4-3 in Ninth Inning Thriller - Burlington Bees
- Chiefs Pound Out 20 Hits in 11-5 Win Thursday - Peoria Chiefs
- River Bandits Ripple Whitecaps - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Jones Blasts Cougars Past Captains - Kane County Cougars
- Cougars Avoid Sweep, Beat Captains 4-2 - Lake County Captains
- River Bandits Unveil All-Star Week Events - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Barnhart, Hayes Selected as Dragons Players of the Month - Dayton Dragons
- Former LumberKing Maikel Cleto Called up to St. Louis - Clinton LumberKings
- Braun Returns to Dragons - Dayton Dragons
- Big innings let Silver Hawks sink Kernels, 8-3 - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- South Bend Wins on School Day at the Cove - South Bend Silver Hawks
- Dragons MVPs to Celebrate at Fifth Third Field on Saturday - Dayton Dragons
- Dragons Gameday for Thursday, June 2 - Dayton Dragons
- Roster Announced for Donald Driver Softball Game - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Bees Fight Back Against Cancer - Burlington Bees
- Kernels Come From Behind To Edge South Bend, 8-7 - Cedar Rapids Kernels
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.