Kernels Come From Behind To Edge South Bend, 8-7June 2, 2011 - Midwest League (MWL) Cedar Rapids Kernels
The Silver Hawks opened up in the 1st inning with four runs against Kernels starter Justin La Tempa. Ender Inciarte led off with a double. Mike Freeman put runners at 1st and 3rd with a single to left field. With Zach Walters at the plate, Freeman took off for 2nd base. La Tempa stepped off the mound and threw to 2nd base. The throw was cut off by Kernels shortstop Rolando Gomez, and he fired home as Inciarte broke for home. Inciarte was safe at home to make it 1-0, and Freeman was safe at 2nd base. Both were awarded stolen bases. On the play, Freeman reached 3rd base on a fielding error by Kernels catcher Marcus Nidiffer. Freeman scored on a RBI single by Walters, making it 2-0 South Bend. Yazy Arbelo capped off the inning with a two run home run to right center field, extending South Bend's lead to 4-0.
South Bend added an unearned run against La Tempa in the 3rd inning. Zach Walters doubled with one out and advanced to third on an error by Kernels center fielder Daniel Eichelberger. Walters later came home on a sacrifice fly by Matt Helm, making it 5-0.
The Kernels battled back to within two runs by scoring three times in the 5th inning. Jeremy Cruz led off the inning with a solo home run off of South Bend's starter Bradin Hagens, making it 5-1. Marcus Nidiffer was then hit by a pitch, and Jerod Yakubik walked. With two outs in the inning and the runners at 2nd and 3rd base, Wes Hatton drove home two with a single to center field, cutting South Bend's lead to 5-3.
South Bend answered right back with two runs in the bottom of the 5th inning. Yazy Arbelo singled to lead off the inning. He scored on a RBI single by Raywilly Gomez, making it 6-3 South Bend. Gomez later scored on a fielder's choice off the bat of Roberto Oritz, extending South Bend's lead to 7-3.
Justin La Tempa started and went four innings, allowing seven runs (five earned) on nine hits. He struck out one and walked two. Donn Roach pitched the remainder of the 5th inning. He went one inning and allowed no runs on no hits while striking out one. The Kernels scored three times in the 6th inning, cutting South Bend's lead to 7-6. Brandon Decker walked to lead off the inning. Back to back singles by Ricky Alvarez and Cruz loaded the bases with no outs.
The South Bend starter Bradin Hagens then exited the game for left hander Dan Taylor. Hagens went five innings and allowed six runs on five hits while striking out five and walking two. With the bases loaded, Nidiffer drilled a double to straight away center, scoring Decker and Alvarez while sending Cruz to 3rd base. Cruz scored on a RBI groundout by Jerod Yakubik, cutting South Bend's lead to 7-6.
The Kernels tied the game 7-7 in the 7th inning. Taylor walked David Harris with one out. He then exited the ballgame after striking out Decker. With two outs South Bend reliever Greg Robinson hit Alvarez, putting runners at 1st and 2nd base. Harris and Alvarez then each stole a base, putting runners at 2nd and 3rd. Jeremy Cruz then singled to center, scoring Harris and tying the game. Taylor went 1.2 innings and allowed one run on one hit. He struck out two and walked one.
The Kernels took the lead 8-7 in the 8th inning. Marcus Nidiffer crushed a home run to left field to lead off the inning. Robinson (0-1) took the loss for South Bend. He went 1.1 innings and allowed one run on two hits. Blake Cooper pitched one inning for South Bend, allowing no hits or run while striking out one.
The Kernels continue the series at South Bend on Thursday morning at 9:30 am. Morgan Hawk brings you the action on the radio home of Kernels baseball, 1450 KMRY AM. Fans may also listen online at www.kmryradio.com or www.kernels.com . Tickets are available online at www.kernels.com or by calling the Kernels Ticket Office at 896-7560. Ticket office hours are 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday and 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. on Saturday.
Midwest League Stories from June 2, 2011
- LumberKings Hold off Fort Wayne 9-8 - Clinton LumberKings
- Well Dunn: Rattlers Beat Hot Rods 6-3 - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Loons Walk off with the Series Win - Great Lakes Loons
- Clinton Outlasts TinCaps, 9-8 - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Fitzgerald Error Lifts Lugs In 9th, 4-3 - Lansing Lugnuts
- Whitecaps Swept By River Bandits - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Dragons Double Up Beloit 4-2 - Dayton Dragons
- Loons Win 4-3 in Ninth Inning Thriller - Burlington Bees
- Chiefs Pound Out 20 Hits in 11-5 Win Thursday - Peoria Chiefs
- River Bandits Ripple Whitecaps - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Jones Blasts Cougars Past Captains - Kane County Cougars
- Cougars Avoid Sweep, Beat Captains 4-2 - Lake County Captains
- River Bandits Unveil All-Star Week Events - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Barnhart, Hayes Selected as Dragons Players of the Month - Dayton Dragons
- Former LumberKing Maikel Cleto Called up to St. Louis - Clinton LumberKings
- Braun Returns to Dragons - Dayton Dragons
- Big innings let Silver Hawks sink Kernels, 8-3 - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- South Bend Wins on School Day at the Cove - South Bend Silver Hawks
- Dragons MVPs to Celebrate at Fifth Third Field on Saturday - Dayton Dragons
- Dragons Gameday for Thursday, June 2 - Dayton Dragons
- Roster Announced for Donald Driver Softball Game - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Bees Fight Back Against Cancer - Burlington Bees
- Kernels Come From Behind To Edge South Bend, 8-7 - Cedar Rapids Kernels
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.