Hester, Macias Power Aces Past 51s, 11-9July 3, 2010 - Pacific Coast League (PCL) Reno Aces
After trailing 4-0 after two innings, Reno came back with 11 runs over the next four frames to take a lead it would not relinquish. The 51s threatened in the sixth, but Aces starter Bryan Augenstein (5-7) left the bases loaded to preserve the lead, and the bullpen would take over from there.
The win gave the Aces a series victory and a 5-2 lead in the second annual Silver State Diamond Challenge, the 16-game series between Nevada's two Triple-A teams. The Aces look for their first SSDC title after the two teams split the inaugural series last year, with Las Vegas mayor Oscar Goodman drawing a higher card than Reno mayor Bob Cashell in the tiebreaker.
Augenstein earned the win despite allowing six runs in six innings, striking out two and allowing two Las Vegas home runs. Three Aces relievers held on for the win, with Carlos Rosa inducing a game-ending double play to earn his first save of the season.
Zach Jackson (2-2) was tagged with the loss, as the Aces chased him from the game after he allowed six runs-five earned-in 3.2 innings of work.
Hester exploded for a 4-for-6, five-RBI night for the Aces, who recorded a season-high-tying 17 hits. Macias added a three-run shot in the sixth in a game that saw six different Aces record at least two hits.
The Aces return home Sunday for a sold-out Fourth of July game and celebration, with festivities to begin at 2 p.m. at the Freight House District, followed by the series-opening game against Sacramento. The Aces will send RHP Kevin Mulvey (3-5, 4.75 ERA) to the mound to square off against River Cats RHP Travis Banwart (1-1, 4.50 ERA). First pitch is set for 6:35 p.m., with a special Fourth of July fireworks show immediately following the game.
Tickets for Monday through Wednesday's games are still available by calling the Reno Aces box office at (775) 334-7000 or by visiting RenoAces.com. The brand-new Freight House District, located just outside Aces Ballpark, is open seven days a week, on both game days and non-game days.
Pacific Coast League Stories from July 3, 2010
- Hester, Macias Power Aces Past 51s, 11-9 - Reno Aces
- Bees Cling to Victory Over Sox in Series Finale, 9-8 - Colorado Springs Sky Sox
- Halman Goes Deep Again As Rainiers Finish Sweep - Tacoma Rainiers
- Mastny deals in Zephyrs' win - New Orleans Zephyrs
- Sounds Close Homestand With 3-1 Loss - Nashville Sounds
- Walk-off Homer Sinks Express At Memphis 7-6 - Round Rock Express
- Craig's blast beats Express - Memphis Redbirds
- River Cats Independence Day Celebration Tonight at Raley Field Sold Out - Sacramento River Cats
- RedHawks Game Notes - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Rainiers Rout Portland 11-6 - Tacoma Rainiers
- Tacoma uses seven-run fifth inning to put away Beavers - Portland Beavers
- Aces Fall To Las Vegas, 9-5 - Reno Aces
- Bees Clutch Pitching Too Much for Sox, Fall 5-3 - Colorado Springs Sky Sox
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.