Hawks Close April with a 4-2 WinApril 30, 2010 - Midwest League (MWL) South Bend Silver Hawks
After starting the season 0-9, the Silver Hawks finish the month of April with a 10-12 record by winning 10 of the final 13 games.
Brewer was cruising from the start, allowing just two hits in his six innings on the mound. The right-hander from UCLA tied his and the team's high with seven strikeouts and did not allow a walk. Friday marked Brewer's second straight scoreless start against West Michigan, although he received no decision last Saturday when a high pitch count forced him out of the game after 4.2 innings.
Borchering provided the offense early, blasting the first pitch he saw from Jade Todd (LP, 0-4) over the 360 sign in left-center for his second home run of the season. Borchering, a switch-hitter, has now homered from both sides of the plate in the last three days.
After Tyson Van Winkle singled with one out in the second, David Narodowski doubled and Keon Broxton walked to load the bases. Chris Owings picked up a sacrifice fly to give the Silver Hawks a 3-0 lead.
In the fifth, David Nick provided the RBI when his double drove in Borchering from first. It was Nick's second double of the game and his two-hit night ended a 0-for-13 skid.
West Michigan finally scored in the eighth against Diogenes Rosario (ND). The Whitecaps loaded the bases with nobody out, but a double play off the bat of Mike Gosse slowed down the rally. Wade Gaynor picked up a RBI with a single to center, but Yonata Ortega (SV, 6) came in to strike out Michael Rockett to end the threat.
Ortega then pitched around a one-out single in the ninth to record his sixth save, tying for the Midwest League lead in that category.
The Silver Hawks and Whitecaps continue the four game series with game two on Souvenir Saturday at the Cove beginning at 5:30 PM Eastern Time. The first 1,000 fans will receive a Silver Hawks seat cushion as they watch RHP Eric Smith (2-1, 0.75 ERA) battle RHP Victor Larez (1-3, 2.82 ERA). Pregame coverage begins at 5:10 PM Eastern Time on 1620 ESPN Radio and online at www.silverhawks.com.
Midwest League Stories from April 30, 2010
- Bandits Snap Three Game Losing Streak With Walkoff Win - Quad Cities River Bandits
- TinCaps explode for eight in the 8th,rout Lugnuts, 10-4 - Lansing Lugnuts
- Captains Rally from Six Down for Win - Great Lakes Loons
- Cougars Get No-Hit in Cedar Rapids - Kane County Cougars
- Dragons Defeat Hot Rods 6-2 on Friday - Dayton Dragons
- Dyer Continues Strong Start In 2010 - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- TinCaps erupt, upend Lansing, 10-4 - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Struck Throws Rain Shortened No-Hitter Friday - Peoria Chiefs
- Struck, Weather Combine to No-Hit Kings - Clinton LumberKings
- 'Caps Open Road Trip With Hard-Fought Loss - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Hawks Close April with a 4-2 Win - South Bend Silver Hawks
- Snappers and Ratters Washed Out - Beloit Snappers
- Rain Washes Out Rattlers At Beloit On Friday - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Hot Rods Back Super Saver In Derby - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Opening Night Starter Returns From DL - Kane County Cougars
- TrinityMusicFest Coming To Parkview Field - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Dragons Announce Roster Changes - Dayton Dragons
- Jack Murphy Joins Lugnuts - Lansing Lugnuts
- Dragons Gameday For Friday, April 30 - Dayton Dragons
- Chiefs Reliever Jeff Beliveau Promoted to Daytona - Peoria Chiefs
- Ivan Contreras Joins Kernels from Rancho Cucamonga - Cedar Rapids Kernels
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.