Redman's Three Homers Power 'Topes Past Royals, 11-5April 18, 2010 - Pacific Coast League (PCL) Albuquerque Isotopes
Redman went deep in each of his first three at-bats to become the eighth Isotope to smack a trio of home runs in one contest with Dee Brown last achieving the feat on May 22, 2009. Redman and Jay Gibbons drove in 10 of the 11 Topes runs, going a combined 5-for-9.
After Gibbons ended 17 uncharacteristically scoreless innings from the Topes with a bases loaded sacrifice fly in the first inning, Redman crushed a Gaby Hernandez offering to right for three additional runs that put Albuquerque up for good 4-3.
It would be the duo of Gibbons and Redman that extended the lead in the third, with back-to-back shots. Gibbons delivered a blast to right for two runs and was followed by Redman's second slam to put the Isotopes on top 7-3.
Omaha trimmed the lead with two runs in the fourth off reliever Travis Schlichting, who took over after starter James McDonald exited after the first inning with a broken fingernail. Schlichting pitched 3.2 innings, however, limiting the Royals to just two runs on six hits during his sudden, yet quality appearance.
With the score at 7-5, Albuquerque added insurance runs in the fifth thanks again to Gibbons and Redman. Gibbons picked up his fourth RBI of the day with a single to center that plated Xavier Paul. Redman proceeded to launch his third and final homer of the day to left field making it 10-5 Albuquerque.
Making sure Redman and Gibbons didn't have all the fun, John Lindsey joined the production parade, using his third hit of the day, a double, to score Paul in the seventh and up the Topes' advantage to 11-5.
Meanwhile, the Isotopes bullpen quieted the Royals as Brent Leach (2-0) worked 3.1 innings with just one hit and Juan Perez pitched a 1-2-3 ninth with two punchouts to seal the victory.
Albuquerque will try for the series split Monday when left-hander Scott Elbert (0-0, 4.50) takes the ball for the Isotopes against O-Royals righty Philip Humber (1-0, 2.45).
The Topes opening homestand wraps up Monday with more day baseball as the Topes will host a Business Person's Special beginning at 12:05 PM. Tickets for any Isotopes game may be purchased at the Isotopes Park Box Office, at Ticketmaster outlets, by phone at 1-800-745-3000, or on-line at www.albuquerquebaseball.com or www.ticketmaster.com.
Pacific Coast League Stories from April 18, 2010
- Sky Sox Improve to 6-5 with Two Wins on Sunday - Colorado Springs Sky Sox
- Beavers Rally Falls Short Against Grizzlies - Portland Beavers
- Aces Offense Explodes for 10-7 Win Over Cats - Reno Aces
- Bees Earn 10-7 Win Over Rainiers - Salt Lake Bees
- Redman's Three Homers Power 'Topes Past Royals, 11-5 - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Berkman Sparks Express Romp of Zephyrs, 9-1 - Round Rock Express
- RedHawks Rally by Redbirds - Memphis Redbirds
- Z's Fall to Express - New Orleans Zephyrs
- Sounds Commit Five Errors In 11-6 Loss - Nashville Sounds
- Oklahoma City RedHawks (7-3) at Memphis Redbirds (4-6 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Express clipped by New Orleans - Round Rock Express
- Luna leads Z's to win - New Orleans Zephyrs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.