Texas Edged By San Antonio In Season Opener 3-2October 2, 2009 - American Hockey League (AHL) Texas Stars
In the first period, San Antonio jumped out to a 1-0 lead with an early tally by Jeff Hoggan. Winger Kyle Turris set up the first goal of the night with a feed from the left-wing circle. Hoggan redirected the pass at 2:34 for the San Antonio lead. Texas tied the game late in the first period with only 26 seconds left in the opening frame. Defenseman Maxime Fortunus scored the first goal in team history, blasting a power-play goal in from the slot at 19:34 and tying the game 1-1.
San Antonio regained the lead halfway through the middle period with a loose puck in the Texas slot. Winger Chad Kolarik slammed in a rebound, beating Texas goalie Brent Krahn for his first goal of the season and a 2-1 Rampage lead at 9:13.
In the third period, the Stars pulled even with the Rampage at 11:52, tying the game 2-2. Defenseman Ivan Vishnevskiy carried the puck deep into the San Antonio zone. Vishnevskiy snapped a wrist shot off of traffic and into the Rampage net for his first goal of the season. Defenseman Andrew Hutchinson and goalie Brent Krahn each had an assist on the goal. The Rampage regained the lead for the final time with only 5:10 left on the clock. Center Joel Perrault put in a rebound off a Sean Sullivan shot at 14:50 for the 3-2 lead.
Texas will host its first regular season game in team history in a rematch with San Antonio at 7:00 pm on Saturday, October 3rd, at Cedar Park Center.
Tickets for the Stars 40 season home games at Cedar Park Center are on sale, starting as low as $9.00 a seat. Individual game tickets may be purchased by calling (800) 745-3000, by going online at www.ticketmaster.com or visit any local Ticketmaster outlet.
Season ticket packages to see the Stars play their Inaugural season at the Cedar Park Center are on sale now, starting as low as $12.00 a seat. For more information on Texas Stars season tickets call (512) GO-STARS (467-8277) or visit www.TexasStarsHockey.com. Anyone interested in purchasing season tickets, suites, group tickets or mini-plans may call the Texas Stars front office.
American Hockey League Stories from October 2, 2009
- Rampage Defeat Texas 3-2 in Home Opener - San Antonio Rampage
- Aeros Fall to Moose 4-3 On Opening Night - Houston Aeros
- Texas Edged By San Antonio In Season Opener 3-2 - Texas Stars
- Aeros Announce 1070 KNTH As Flagship Station - Houston Aeros
- Moose name captain, assistant captains for 09-10 - Manitoba Moose
- Sharks Recall Forward Frazer McLaren and Reassign Jamie McGinn - Worcester Sharks
- Flyers Send Teslak Back To Phantoms - Adirondack Phantoms
- H-E-B Partners With Vipers To Create Pep Band - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Hamilton Bulldogs Sign Forward Maxime Lacroix - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Marlies Announce 2009-10 Opening Day Roster - Toronto Marlies
- Griffins' 14th Season Starts Saturday - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Admirals Finalize Opening Night Roster - Norfolk Admirals
- Admirals Sign Four, Release Two in Preparation for Tomorrow's Season Opener - Norfolk Admirals
- Follow the Crunch on Twitter for a Chance to Win a VIP Meet and Greet with Ralph Macchio - Syracuse Crunch
- Falcons Name Team Captains For 09-10 Season - Springfield Falcons
- AHL's 74th season set to begin tonight - AHL
- Amerks And The Distillery To Whet Fans' Appetites For Food And Hockey - Rochester Americans
- Amerks Re-Launch Website - Rochester Americans
- Admirals Add Toughness with Veteran Mitch Fritz - Norfolk Admirals
- Texas Announces Opening Day Roster - Texas Stars
- Rampage Announce Opening Night Roster - San Antonio Rampage
- Bears announce opening night roster - Hershey Bears
- Worcester Sharks Announce Opening Night Roster - Worcester Sharks
- Marlies Invite All To Experience Canada's Game - Toronto Marlies
- Sound Tigers Set Opening Night Roster - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.