Carolina's Travis Wood Named Southern League Most Outstanding PitcherAugust 31, 2009 - Southern League (SL) Press Release
In 2008, Wood reached the Double-A level for the first time in his four-year career, and pitched 17 games for then-Reds affiliate Chattanooga, finishing with a 4-9 record and 7.09 ERA. He clearly learned a few lessons during his first trip around the Southern League, as he returned to the circuit for the start of the 2009 season and turned in one of the most dominant performances in league history.
Wood, who was promoted to Triple-A Louisville in late-July, obliterated the modern-era Southern League record for ERA by posting a miniscule 1.21 mark, shattering the old record of 1.57, set by Montgomery's Dave Rozema in 1976. The 22-year-old lefty became just the ninth Southern League pitcher since 1964 to pitch at least 109 innings and post a sub-2.00 ERA.
The season didn't begin smoothly for Wood, however. Despite pitching well through his first four starts, Wood received just four total runs of support over a three-start span and entered May with an 0-3 record. He won nine consecutive decisions the rest of the way and earned a unanimous selection to the North Division All-Star Team.
Wood surrendered more than two earned runs in just one of 19 starts and limited opposing hitters to a .189 batting average. He was named Southern League Pitcher of the Week for June 1-7, capping a week in which he struck out 17, walked one, and allowed six hits and no runs in 15 innings.
Southern League Stories from August 31, 2009
- Carolina sweeps doubleheader with two shutouts over Biscuits - Carolina Mudcats
- Barons Sweep Twinbill - Birmingham Barons
- Barons walk off with sweep of double dip - Huntsville Stars
- Smokies slienced by Torra, Mobile Monday night - Tennessee Smokies
- Ever Magallanes Named Southern League Manager of the Year - Birmingham Barons
- Five Barons Headline Southern League Postseason All-Star Team - Birmingham Barons
- Braves take series with 2-1 win, but Jaxx stay in first place tie - Jackson Generals
- Braves squeak by Jaxx - Mississippi Braves
- Suns even series with Monday win - Jacksonville Suns
- Torra tosses shutout, homers in 6-0 rout of Smokies - Mobile BayBears
- Young repeats as league's best hustler - Mississippi Braves
- Smokies' play-in game destinations determined Monday - Tennessee Smokies
- Ciriaco named to Postseason All-Star Team - Mobile BayBears
- Lalli Named to Postseason All-Star Team - Tennessee Smokies
- Vazquez Heads to Louisville, Starts Tonight - Carolina Mudcats
- Matt Peterson Named Southern League Postseason All-Star - Jacksonville Suns
- Wood Named S.L. Pitcher Of Year - Carolina Mudcats
- Carrera, Halman honored by Southern League - Jackson Generals
- Jennings Named Southern League MVP - Montgomery Biscuits
- Birmingham's Everardo Magallanes Named Southern League Manager Of The Year - SL
- Carolina's Travis Wood Named Southern League Most Outstanding Pitcher - SL
- Montgomery's Desmond Jennings Named Southern League Most Valuable Player - SL
- Southern League announces Postseason All-Stars - SL
- Powell off to Charlotte - Montgomery Biscuits
- Colvin Named "SL Hitter of the Week" - Tennessee Smokies
- Triunfel returns from DL, Villarreal placed on DL - Jackson Generals
- Eymann Reassigned; Tordy Sent to Sarasota - Carolina Mudcats
- SL Names Players of the Week - SL
- Lookouts' Adkins Named Pitcher of the Week - Chattanooga Lookouts
- Torres Acquired by Tampa Bay - Montgomery Biscuits
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.