Montgomery's Desmond Jennings Named Southern League Most Valuable PlayerAugust 31, 2009 - Southern League (SL)
Jennings, who entered the season as Tampa Bay's best outfield prospect, has long been on the radar of scouts and talent evaluators. But after being named the top prospect in the South Atlantic League in 2007, Jennings was hampered by injuries in 2008 and played only 24 games. With something to prove in 2009, he showed no ill effects from the shoulder surgery that ended his season a year ago and was one of the league's most dynamic and electric players until his promotion to Triple-A Durham on August 1.
He came out of the gates on fire, batting .349 with three homers and 16 RBI in April. Jennings played even better in May, improving his average to .359 with six home runs, 29 RBI and 17 steals through the season's first two months. The dangerous leadoff hitter accomplished this while playing on the league's worst team in terms of batting average. Without Jennings, the Biscuits' team average would have dipped eight points to a .231 mark.
The 22-year-old Jennings excelled in every facet of the game and led the league in hits (121), triples (8) and stolen bases (37) at the time of his promotion. He was also second in runs (69) and fourth in extra-base hits (42). Jennings paced the Biscuits in virtually every offensive category and still leads the club in batting average (.316), runs, hits, doubles, triples, walks (48), stolen bases and on-base percentage (.395) nearly a full month after his promotion.
Jennings was named the Rays' organizational player of the month in April and won the Southern League Hitter of the Week Award for July 13-19. He was selected to the South Division All-Star Team but did not play due to his participation in the XM All-Star Futures Game. Jennings started the Futures Game for the U.S. Team and his elite athleticism was on full display as he stole three bases, including two swipes of third base.
Southern League Stories from August 31, 2009
- Carolina sweeps doubleheader with two shutouts over Biscuits - Carolina Mudcats
- Barons Sweep Twinbill - Birmingham Barons
- Barons walk off with sweep of double dip - Huntsville Stars
- Smokies slienced by Torra, Mobile Monday night - Tennessee Smokies
- Ever Magallanes Named Southern League Manager of the Year - Birmingham Barons
- Five Barons Headline Southern League Postseason All-Star Team - Birmingham Barons
- Braves take series with 2-1 win, but Jaxx stay in first place tie - Jackson Generals
- Braves squeak by Jaxx - Mississippi Braves
- Suns even series with Monday win - Jacksonville Suns
- Torra tosses shutout, homers in 6-0 rout of Smokies - Mobile BayBears
- Young repeats as league's best hustler - Mississippi Braves
- Smokies' play-in game destinations determined Monday - Tennessee Smokies
- Ciriaco named to Postseason All-Star Team - Mobile BayBears
- Lalli Named to Postseason All-Star Team - Tennessee Smokies
- Vazquez Heads to Louisville, Starts Tonight - Carolina Mudcats
- Matt Peterson Named Southern League Postseason All-Star - Jacksonville Suns
- Wood Named S.L. Pitcher Of Year - Carolina Mudcats
- Carrera, Halman honored by Southern League - Jackson Generals
- Jennings Named Southern League MVP - Montgomery Biscuits
- Birmingham's Everardo Magallanes Named Southern League Manager Of The Year - SL
- Carolina's Travis Wood Named Southern League Most Outstanding Pitcher - SL
- Montgomery's Desmond Jennings Named Southern League Most Valuable Player - SL
- Southern League announces Postseason All-Stars - SL
- Powell off to Charlotte - Montgomery Biscuits
- Colvin Named "SL Hitter of the Week" - Tennessee Smokies
- Triunfel returns from DL, Villarreal placed on DL - Jackson Generals
- Eymann Reassigned; Tordy Sent to Sarasota - Carolina Mudcats
- SL Names Players of the Week - SL
- Lookouts' Adkins Named Pitcher of the Week - Chattanooga Lookouts
- Torres Acquired by Tampa Bay - Montgomery Biscuits
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.