'Caps outlast Lugnuts in openerAugust 24, 2009 - Midwest League (MWL) West Michigan Whitecaps
The Whitecaps broke out on top with 2 runs in the first. After Gustavo Nunez and Alden Carrithers each reached base safely, Jordan Lennerton chased them home with a 2-out RBI double.
Avasail Garcia and Joe Bowen started the second inning with back-to-back singles. Nunez sacrificed the runners to second and third. Garcia then scored on a two out infield single by Carrithers to make it 3-0.
The Lugnuts rallied to tie the score off Whitecaps reliever Brandon Hamilton in the 7th. After Johermyn Chavez led off with a double, Mike McDade crushed a long home run to right, his 13th of the year, to make it 3-2. Welinton Ramirez singled, stole second and scored the tying run on a double by A.J. Jimenez.
The Whitecaps came right back off Lugnuts reliever Jason Roenicke with 2 runs in the 8th. Ben Guez walked, Lennerton singled and Mike Gosse laid down a sacrifice bunt. A throwing error by Roenicke on the bunt allowed Guez to come home with the go-ahead run. After an intentional walk to Joe Bowen to load the bases, Luis Palacios singled to drive in Lennerton, giving the Whitecaps a 5-3 lead. Lirette went six innings for the Lugnuts, giving up 3 runs on 9 hits. He struck out three. Roenicke went the final 3 innings and took the loss (1-5, 4.18).
Balbino Fuenmayor hit his 8th home run of the year in the 9th to account for Lansing's final run.
Rob Waite, a last minute replacement for scheduled starter Casey Crosby, pitched 6 innings, allowing no runs on 4 hits. He walked one, struck out 2 and did not allow a runner past first base. Brandon Hamliton (5-4, 6.82) got the win for the Whitecaps. Tyler Stohr struck out four in two innings of relief to get his 18th save of the year.
The Whitecaps and Lugnuts resume their 4-game series Tuesday night at 7:05. Righthander Luke Putkonen (7-8, 3.40) is scheduled to start for the Whitecaps while Lansing will counter with righthander Chad Beck (6-7, 5.80).
Midwest League Stories from August 24, 2009
- Cougars win homestand opener in 10 - Kane County Cougars
- Whitecaps slip past Lugnuts, 5-4 - Lansing Lugnuts
- Griffin drives in four in Bees victory - Burlington Bees
- Castro Escapes Trouble in 5-1 Win over Loons - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Townsend delivers two-run single as Kernels win, 4-3 - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- That Stings: Bees strike out 15 Rattlers in 5-1 win - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- 'Caps outlast Lugnuts in opener - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Chiefs shut out River Bandits 2-0 Monday - Peoria Chiefs
- Singles add up to Hawks win - South Bend Silver Hawks
- Big inning lifts South Bend to win in series opener - Dayton Dragons
- Whitecaps to welcome trio of '84 Tigers - West Michigan Whitecaps
- TinCaps Sweep Weekly Awards, Castro Wins Pitcher of the Week Honors - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- "Van Down by the River" Chosen as Finalist for Promotional Award - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Dragons Gameday August 24th - Dayton Dragons
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.