Singles add up to Hawks winAugust 24, 2009 - Midwest League (MWL) South Bend Silver Hawks
Dayton starter J.C. Sulbaran (LP, 3-5) had allowed only one run through six innings, but started the seventh by giving up back-to-back singles to Alfredo Marte and Clayton Conner, departing with runners at the corners. Scott Gaffney (ND) was called in from the bullpen, but he was only able to record one out while allowing five more singles. Jake Elmore drove in two runs with his single to right, while Alberto Diaz and Rossmel Perez each drove in one. Reynaldo Navarro also had a sacrifice fly against Gaffney in the inning.
Mark James (ND) came in to replace Gaffney, allowing a RBI single to Justin Parker before getting the final two outs. All told, the Silver Hawks sent 11 men to the plate in the seventh inning, recording eight singles and the sacrifice fly, scoring six runs to take the lead.
In fact, of the 12 hits on the night, the only one that wasn't a single was Parker's solo home run in the bottom of the fourth inning against Sulbaran. It was Parker's fourth homer of the season, and it tied the game at 1-1.
Dayton had the lead early with a run against South Bend starter Randy Rodriguez (WP, 5-9) in the third. Alex Oliveras had a double and scored on a single by Josh Fellhauer for the 1-0 lead. Oliveras singled to lead off the sixth as well, scoring later in the inning on a single by Byron Wiley for a 2-1 lead at the time. Those would be the only runs allowed by Rodriguez in his seven innings on the mound.
A.J. Pollock kept the Dragons from scoring more runs early in the game by showing off his throwing arm from center. Pollock threw out Cody Puckett at the plate to end the first inning, and then fired home to get Humberto Sosa at the plate to end the fifth, keeping the Silver Hawks chances alive.
Bryan Woodall (ND) allowed a run in the top of the ninth, his only blemish over the final two innings to wrap up the win for South Bend.
Midwest League Stories from August 24, 2009
- Cougars win homestand opener in 10 - Kane County Cougars
- Whitecaps slip past Lugnuts, 5-4 - Lansing Lugnuts
- Griffin drives in four in Bees victory - Burlington Bees
- Castro Escapes Trouble in 5-1 Win over Loons - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Townsend delivers two-run single as Kernels win, 4-3 - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- That Stings: Bees strike out 15 Rattlers in 5-1 win - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- 'Caps outlast Lugnuts in opener - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Chiefs shut out River Bandits 2-0 Monday - Peoria Chiefs
- Singles add up to Hawks win - South Bend Silver Hawks
- Big inning lifts South Bend to win in series opener - Dayton Dragons
- Whitecaps to welcome trio of '84 Tigers - West Michigan Whitecaps
- TinCaps Sweep Weekly Awards, Castro Wins Pitcher of the Week Honors - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- "Van Down by the River" Chosen as Finalist for Promotional Award - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Dragons Gameday August 24th - Dayton Dragons
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.