Heisey to Futures GameJune 27, 2009 - Southern League (SL) Carolina Mudcats
Heisey, who is one of two Cincinnati Reds minor league players selected for the distinguished honor, has led the Southern League batting race for several weeks with a .347 average, while also within the top five of the league in a multitude of other offensive categories. Heisey is fourth in home runs (13), first in hits (94), second in on-base percentage (.426), first in slugging (.572), second in extra base hits (33), and first in runs scored (54).
The Futures Game rosters are selected by Baseball America, the Major League Baseball Scouting Bureau, MLB.com and all 30 major league clubs. Every major league organization must be represented by at least one player, but no club is allowed to send more than two. Cincinnati's other representative is Juan Carlos Sulbaran, who is 2-1 with a 4.60 ERA over nine starts with the Low-A Dayton Dragons of the Midwest League. The game will pit the U.S. Futures Stars against the Futures Stars of the World.
Former Mudcats who have also appeared in the Futures Game are Jeremy Hermida, Rick Vanden Hurk, Jesus Delgado, among others.
Southern League Stories from June 27, 2009
- Smokies Hold Off Biscuits in Finale, 6-5 - Montgomery Biscuits
- Ninth-Inning Rally Sparks Jaxx Past BayBears - Mobile BayBears
- Down to final strike, Jaxx rally for 6-5 win in 9th - Jackson Generals
- Braves & Barons Suspended - Mississippi Braves
- Chick and Giles Lead Looks to Victory - Huntsville Stars
- Jacksonville defeats Carolina - Carolina Mudcats
- Three pitchers combine on four-hit shutout - Jacksonville Suns
- Lyman back to M-Braves - Mississippi Braves
- Anderson promoted; Garciaparra rejoins Stars - Huntsville Stars
- Stars Notes for June 27 - Huntsville Stars
- Heisey to Futures Game - Carolina Mudcats
- Mudcats make roster transactions - Carolina Mudcats
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.