Wolf Pack defeat PiratesFebruary 28, 2009 - American Hockey League (AHL) Connecticut Whale
Mike Ouellette scored the tying goal and added an assist for the Wolf Pack, Patrick Rissmiller notched the shootout-winning goal and had an assist, and rookie Tomas Zaborsky posted his first career multiple-point game in the AHL with two assists. Sean Avery scored his second Wolf Pack goal, and Matt Zaba made 29 saves in regulation and overtime and stopped four of five shootout attempts. Tim Kennedy, Marek Zagrapan and Tyler Bouck scored for Portland, and Colin Murphy had two assists.
Portland's Kennedy scored the game's first goal at 5:05 of the first period, with Portland on a power play and another penalty coming against the Wolf Pack, Zaba stopped Marc-Andre Gragnani's shot, but Kennedy jammed in the rebound. Zagrapan made it 2-0 for Portland at 15:14, as he drove a shot from the left-wing side off of Zaba's glove and into the net.
The Pirates increased their lead to 3-0 at the 1:23 mark of the second period, as Aaron Slattengren dug the puck out behind the net and fed it to Bouck, who snapped a shot into the top corner over Zaba's glove. The Wolf Pack spent most of the rest of the second penalty-killing, with referee Shaun Davis assessing four minor penalties against Hartford.
The Wolf Pack's comeback started with Tom Pyatt's goal at 1:47 of the third. Zaborsky deflected the puck to Pyatt at the right-wing side of the crease, and Pyatt had an open net. That goal ruined the shutout bid of Pirate goaltender Jeff Jakaitis, who was making his first AHL appearance.
Hartford then scored two goals in a span of 38 seconds, starting at 10:12, to tie the game. After Jakaitis could not settle down Rissmiller's shot from the right-wing circle, Avery nudged the puck just over the goal line. Then Zaborsky, who was not even supposed to play in the game but was inserted into the lineup when P.A. Parenteau was injured in warmups, set up Ouellette in the slot for the tying goal at 10:50.
After a scoreless rest of the third period and overtime, Zaba allowed only Murphy to score among the five Portland shootout attempts, and Rissmiller backhanded a shot up under the crossbar behind Jakaitis for the winner on Hartford's fifth attempt, after Artem Anisimov had scored on the Wolf Pack's first shootout try.
The win was the Wolf Pack's second consecutive shootout triumph, following Friday night's 2-1 home win over Manchester, after the Pack had not gone to a shootout once in the previous 32 games. The two points lifted the Wolf Pack (33-23-2-3, 71 points) to within two points of first-place Providence, which lost 4-3 in a shootout in Philadelphia, in the Atlantic Division standings.
American Hockey League Stories from February 28, 2009
- Monsters continue winning ways - Lake Erie Monsters
- Four-goal First Proves Too Much for Peoria - Peoria Rivermen
- Back in Black! Chops top first-place Admirals in front of 9,879 - Iowa Chops
- Goalie backstops Rockford to 3-2 shootout win - Rockford IceHogs
- Aeros battle back to beat Flames in shootout 4-3 - Houston Aeros
- Rampage Salute Military in 3-2 Shootout Loss - San Antonio Rampage
- Sound Tigers earn win - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Areos come back in SO - Abbotsford Heat
- Moose sweep series - Manitoba Moose
- Sens win third straight - Binghamton Senators
- Eighth-Round Shootout Goal Lifts Phantoms To 4-3 Win Over Providence - Adirondack Phantoms
- Wolf Pack defeat Pirates - Connecticut Whale
- Griffins fall short in SO - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Bulldogs defeated by Marlies - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Sharks brawl past Falcons in Worcester - Worcester Sharks
- Picard Lifts Crunch to Win Over Albany - Syracuse Crunch
- Wolf Pack Hands Pirates 2-1 Shootout Loss - Portland Pirates
- River Rats Lose To Crunch 5-2 - Albany River Rats
- Bears Swipe Away Win From Admirals - Norfolk Admirals
- P-Bruins Fall In Shootout To Phantoms 4-3 - Providence Bruins
- Flames Recall Forward Warren Peters From Quad City - Abbotsford Heat
- Bernier backstops 14th win; Monarchs move into fifth place - Manchester Monarchs
- Devils Stymied In Shootout By Monarchs, 2-1 - Albany Devils
- Carpentier Returns To Quad Cities - Abbotsford Heat
- Marlies Recall Forward Tyler Doig From Reading - Toronto Marlies
- Doug Janik Clears Waivers; Assigned To Hamilton - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Rochester Signs Forward Jarret Lukin to PTO - Rochester Americans
- Senators Assign Martin Gerber To Binghamton - Binghamton Senators
- O'Reilly Recalled by Nashville - Milwaukee Admirals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.