Jackman scores twice but playoff hopes are packed in by HartfordApril 12, 2008 - American Hockey League (AHL) - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
Hartford took the 1-0 lead 6:31 into the first period when Michael Sauer tapped in his third goal of the season. Alex Bourret took a break-out pass from Thomas Pock and skated into the Sound Tigers' zone. Sauer crept in from his point position and Bourret fed a cross-ice pass to Sauer who tipped the puck past MacDonald to give the Wolf Pack the lead. Artem Anisimov made it 2-0 in favor of Hartford with less than two minutes remaining in the period. Hugh Jessiman created a turnover in front of the Sound Tigers' goal and fed a pass to Anisimov at the right post for his 16th tally of the season. About 30 seconds after the goal, Jessiman took a two-minute minor for hooking, putting the Sound Tigers on the power-play. Kyle Okposo set the play up in the zone and chipped a quick pass to Ben Walter just off the left post for a shot. The rebound popped into the air to Tim Jackman where he banged the fluttering puck into the net for his 14th tally of the season coming with only 14 seconds left in the opening frame.
Jackman would even the score at two halfway through the second period with his second marker of the game. Jeff Tambellini dropped a pass for Jackman as the two entered Hartford's zone and Jackman walked in and snapped a shot over the blocker of LeNeveu for his 15th goal of the season. Just over a minute later, MacDonald kept the score even when Lauri Korpikoski was awarded a penalty shot when he was hooked from behind by Trevor Smith. Korpikoski tried to make a quick move to his forehand, but MacDonald kept right with him and stopped the shot with his pad.
The Sound Tigers had their chances in the third period to take the lead as both Trevor Smith and Jeremy Colliton sent shots off of the iron. Hartford, however would take the lead at the 4:28 mark when Hugh Jessiman stepped out from the slot and ripped a one-timer past the blocker of MacDonald for the 3-2 lead. The goal was Jessiman's 18th of the season. Mitch Fritz would score his first tally of the season on a two-on-one break in from the neutral zone with Anisimov making the score 4-2. Ivan Baranka also had an assist on Fritz's goal. Korpikoski would seal the game with an empty net goal assisted on by Anisimov and Baranka, his 23rd of the season.
MacDonald finished the game with 22 saves on 26 shots while LeNeveu turned aside 27 of the 29 shots he faced. The Sound Tigers went 1-for-5 on the man-advantage while shutting down the Wolf Pack's lone power-play of the game.
The Sound Tigers will conclude the regular season tomorrow evening when both teams travel back to Bridgeport to complete the home-and-home series. Game-time is scheduled for 4 p.m. on Fan Appreciation Night at Arena at Harbor Yard.
American Hockey League Stories from April 12, 2008
- Aeros down Admirals 3-2, season finale tomorrow night at Toyota Center - Houston Aeros
- Monsters Close Out Home Schedule With Loss - Lake Erie Monsters
- Jackman scores twice but playoff hopes are packed in by Hartford - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Rampage drop tough one to Quad City - San Antonio Rampage
- Schremp's Game-Winner Lifts Falcons To 3-2 Win - Springfield Falcons
- Rivermen Close Out Home Schedule wtih 4-1 Win Over Stars - Peoria Rivermen
- Final road game ends in blowout - Rockford IceHogs
- Locke leads Bulldogs over Monsters - Hamilton Bulldogs
- River Rats Announce First Round Playoff Schedule - Albany River Rats
- Griffins clip Moose 3-2 in OT - Manitoba Moose
- P-Bruins Defeat Monarchs 3-0 - Providence Bruins
- Griffins Conclude Season with 3-2 Overtime Win - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Admirals Ice Penguins in Season Finale - Norfolk Admirals
- Phantoms To Face Albany In East Division Semifinals - Adirondack Phantoms
- Griffins Send Seven Players, Three Staffers to Detroit - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Sharks Leave No Doubt in Comprehensive 4-1 Victory - Worcester Sharks
- 3:08 To Providence - Manchester Monarchs
- Phantoms Fall To Hershey 5-2, Draw Albany In East Division Semifinals - Adirondack Phantoms
- Penguins clinch East Division title, playoff meeting with Hershey - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Vandermeer suspended for five games - AHL
- Playoff Positioning Still Up For Grabs - Houston Aeros
- AHL Morning Skate - AHL
- Falcons Play Home Season Finale Saturday Night - Springfield Falcons
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.