San Jose Earthquakes Acquire Forward John Cunliffe From Chivas USA In Exchange For Chris PozniakMarch 28, 2008 - Major League Soccer (MLS) San Jose Earthquakes
"John is a player that has shown the ability to score goals in MLS," said Earthquakes General Manager John Doyle. "He has a bright future ahead of him and we expect him to bolster our offensive attack this season."
Cunliffe, 23, made his MLS debut on April 7, 2007 against Toronto FC at The Home Depot Center, where he came in as a substitute and notched his first MLS career assist, setting up Sacha Kljestan to seal a 2-0 shutout win.
Cunliffe scored his MLS first career goal against the Kansas City Wizards on July 29, 2007 and finished the season with three goals and one assist. He started five games for the Western Conference's top team during the regular season. The native of Bolton, England appeared in both playoff games for Chivas USA, starting the second leg of the series against the Kansas City Wizards.
Prior to joining MLS, Cunliffe played college soccer at Fort Lewis College in Durango, Colo. Cunliffe led the Skyhawks with 29 goals and 16 assists in the 2006 season. Cunliffe holds the school records of 75 goals and 62 assists in the 86 appearances he made from 2003-2006. Cunliffe was named an All-American three times. He was the only Division II player invited to the 2007 MLS Combine, where he notched one goal and three assists.
Cunliffe played in the youth ranks for Manchester United and Blackburn Rovers, while also spending time training with Bolton Wanderers and Preston North End.
Pozniak leaves San Jose after being drafted in the 10th round of the 2007 MLS Expansion Draft.
Name: John Cunliffe
Born: August 8, 1984 in Bolton, England
Hometown: Bolton, England
College: Fort Lewis College
Last Club: Chivas USA (MLS)
Major League Soccer Stories from March 28, 2008
- Earthquakes Beat Portland Timbers 2-1 in Final Preseason Game - San Jose Earthquakes
- Ray Burse Loaned to Portland Timbers - FC Dallas
- San Jose Earthquakes Announce 2008 Reserve Division Schedule - San Jose Earthquakes
- Crew signs Brazilian forward Guilherme So - Columbus Crew
- Rapids Sign MLS Veteran Kelly Gray Off Waivers - Colorado Rapids
- Red Bulls To Host "Countdown To Kickoff" Events - New York Red Bulls
- San Jose Earthquakes Acquire Forward John Cunliffe From Chivas USA In Exchange For Chris Pozniak - San Jose Earthquakes
- D.C. United Signs Murphy And Thorpe, Waive Kpene - D.C. United
- D.C. United Launches BehindTheBadge.com - D.C. United
- Revolution Adds Defender Chase Hilgenbrinck - New England Revolution
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.