Yuma Scorpions Slugger Acquired by Astros
The Yuma Scorpions of the Golden Baseball League are pleased to announce that the Houston Astros have purchased the contract of outfielder/first baseman Lee Cruz. Cruz will immediately report to High-A Lancaster JetHawks of the California League.
Cruz, who leads the Golden Baseball League with an average of .433 was originally drafted by the Chicago White Sox organization and signed with Yuma a month ago. In just 17 games under field manager Darryl Brinkley the right handed hitting Cruz has hit three home runs, three triples and five doubles. He is also second in the GBL in RBI to teammate Timothy Rodriquez with 26.
"It's an incredible accomplishment to have our first player in 2010 signed by an organization", said Yuma owner and president Ricky Smith. "Lee came to our camp late thanks to a recommendation from my friend Carlos Subero who manages Chattanooga for the Dodgers and he has more than lived up to expectations."
"It's tough to lose a guy with Lee's talent," said Brinkley. "But one of the goals of our league is to get players to the next level. Lee's been in organized ball before and the way he's hitting the ball right now I expect him to do well."
The Scorpions are 13-4 in the south division of the GBL and lead the league in most hitting categories. They are currently on a five game road trip to St. George and Chico and will return home to Desert Sun Stadium next Tuesday to face the Outlaws in a clash of division leaders.
• Discuss this story on the Golden Baseball League message board...
Golden Baseball League Stories from June 8, 2010
- Outlaws Rally but Fall Short Against Toros - Chico Outlaws
- Pote Too Potent for Flyers - Orange County Flyers
- Victoria Seals Lock in Coaching Staff - Victoria Seals
- Yuma Scorpions Slugger Acquired by Astros - Yuma Scorpions
- STG Wins with Yan Walk-Off in 10 - St. George 6, Yuma 5 - St. George RoadRunners
- Detroit Tigers Acquire Orange County Flyers Of Ben Johnson - GBL
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Yuma Scorpions Stories
- Yuma Scorpions Sold to Godfather Media, Inc.
- Former Yuma Scorpions CF Gathright Called up to Majors
- Scorpions Announce Final Game of the 2011 Season August 31st
- Yuma Scorpions Announce Fan Appreciation Exhibition Game
- Yuma Scorpions LHP Robby Scott Acquired by Boston Red Sox