Yomi Scintu and Axel Picazo score their first goals of 2020 as Union II nearly take down Group F leaders
HARTFORD, Conn. - The Philadelphia Union II took on Hartford Athletic on the road, Saturday night, falling 3-2 in a well-played match. Union II came out on fire scoring two goals in the first 16 minutes of the match. Yomi Scintu opened the scoring in the fourth minute after getting on an errant Hartford pass caused by great pressure from Nathan Harriel. Philadelphia went up 2-0 in the 16th minute after Axel Picazo finished a great cross from Danny Torres. Hartford would take the lead in the 53rd minute and hold on to win the match. Union II is back on the road Saturday, August 1 to take on Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC as the Keystone State rivalry moves to Highmark Stadium (7:30 p.m. ET /ESPN+).
Philadelphia Union II 2 - Hartford Athletic 3
Dillion Stadium (Hartford, Conn.)
Saturday, July 25, 2020
TODAY'S MATCH INFO:
Referee: Thomas Snyder
Assistant Referee: Sean Lyons, Eric Schreiber
4th Official: Jeremy Scheer
Weather: 89 degrees and partly cloudy
PHI - Yomi Scintu 4'
PHI - Axel Picazo (Danny Flores) 16'
HFD - Gabriel Torres (Danny Barrera) 39'
HFD - Mads Jorgensen 43'
HFD - Ever Guzman (Danny Barrera) 53'
HFD - Mateus Silva (caution) 29'
HFD - Connor McGlynn (caution) 66'
PHI - Steve Kingue (caution) 90'+7'
Philadelphia Union II: Ben Martino; Isaa Rayyan, Dante Huckaby, Jamoi Topey, Ben Ofeimu, Nathan Harriel (Brandan Craig, 59'); Jack McGlynn, Axel Picazo (Paxten Aaronson, 59'), David Rabadan (Steve Kingue, 87'); Selmir Miscic (Quinn Sullivan, 59), Yomi Scintu (Danny Flores 8')
Substitutes not used: Mitchell Budler
Hartford Athletic: Parfait Mandanda; Matheus Silva, Kevin Politz, Sam Strong; Danny Barrera (Alfonso Vazquez, 88), Conor McGlynn, Gabriel Torres, Arthur Rogers (Alejandro Lara, 76'), Mads Jorgensen; Tyreke Johnson (Nicky Downs, 89'), Ever Guzman (Andre Deas, 64')
Substitutes not used: Alex Davey, Aiden Mesias, Michael Novotny
Sibling rivalry was a theme in Hartford tonight. Union II's Jack McGlynn got the start and faced off against his brother Connor McGlynn who started for Hartford Athletic. Both brothers played the full 90, with Jack completing 78% of his passes, creating two scoring chances and winning five duels. Connor picked up a yellow card in the 67th minute after fouling his brother. Paxten Aaronson, younger brother of Philadelphia Union's Brenden Aaronson, saw action tonight as well completing 80% of his passes, winning two duels and winning two tackles in 31 minutes of action.
Axel Picazo has been dynamic for Union II this season and that continued against Hartford Athletic. Picazo put in a strong 59 minutes, completing 11 passes, winning two duels, and scoring his first goal of the season. He leads Union II in shots and shots on goal with seven and five, respectively.
Forward Yomi Scintu opened the scoring for Union II, his first goal of the season and his second career goal for Philadelphia. He also picked up an assist in the match against Red Bulls earlier this week, having now played a part in two of three Union goals this season.
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from July 25, 2020
- San Diego Loyal Earns First Home Win at USD Torero Stadium - San Diego Loyal
- Charlotte Independence Comes from Behind Twice to Earn a 2-2 Draw on the Road vs Memphis 901 FC - Charlotte Independence
- San Antonio FC Defeats Rivals RGV FC 1-0 at Home - San Antonio FC
- Lancaster's Header Propels LouCity to Lynn Win - Louisville City FC
- Toros Fall to SAFC on the Road - Rio Grande Valley FC Toros
- Alex Crognale Goal Earns Legion FC Draw vs. Tampa Bay - Birmingham Legion FC
- Yomi Scintu and Axel Picazo score their first goals of 2020 as Union II nearly take down Group F leaders - Philadelphia Union II
- Comeback Kids - Hartford Athletic
- Fort Lauderdale CF Scores First Goal in Team History, Falls 1-2 to FC Tucson - USL
- Match Preview: Indy Eleven at Saint Louis FC - Indy Eleven
- STLvIND: Match Preview - Saint Louis FC
- Switchbacks FC's Match vs Austin Bold Rescheduled - Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC
- Phoenix Rising vs. Orange County SC - Tune in to CW61 Arizona Tonight at 7 PM - Phoenix Rising FC
- PRFC vs. OC Tonight on CW61 Arizona at 7 PM - Phoenix Rising FC
- Orange County SC Seeks 3-Points against Phoenix in Week Four - Orange County SC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Philadelphia Union II Stories
- Union II Uable to Find Net in 3-0 Setback to Hartford Athletic
- Philadelphia Union II Score Shutout Win over Loudoun United FC II
- Bohui Helps Philadelphia Union II Draw Loudoun United FC
- Philadelphia Union II Announce Schedule Updates
- Union II Crushed by New York Red Bulls II