Xplorers Capture First Division Crown
Southaven, MS-The Memphis Xplorers of the af2 clinched their first division crown in af2 history tonight with an 83-26 win over the Manchester Wolves in front of 2,712 fans at the DeSoto Civic Center.
Memphis (11-3) was led by Offensive Specialist Kevin Prentiss, who had seven catches for 103 yards and four touchdowns. Prentiss added two kick returns for 97 yards. Defensively, it was Khreem Smith for Memphis with three tackles, two sacks, and three forced fumbles. Smith was voted the ADT Defensive MVP of the game. The Army Ironman was Terrell Adams with three carries for 20 yards, two rushing touchdowns, two catches for 27 yards and two scores, along with three solo tackles and a forced fumble.
The win set a new franchise record for the Xplorers in points scored in a game. The previous mark was 80 at Mobile back on May 4th, 2002. Memphis also set a franchise mark for wins in a season. The Xplorers won ten games in 2004. Xplorers Head Coach Danton Barto has now improved on his record in each of his four professional seasons as a Head Coach.
"This was part of what we set out to do this season," said Barto. "We clinched the division, clinched a bye in the playoffs, and set a new win record for this team. Now there is only one final part of the goal to achieve."
Memphis will head to Central Valley on Saturday to play the Coyotes. With two weeks left in the regular season, the Xplorers will try to clinch home field advantage in the Conference Championship game. Game time is scheduled for 9:30pm. All Xplorers games can be heard on SportsRadio WMC, The Mighty 790 AM.
The Xplorers next home game is Saturday July 30th against the Bossier-Shreveport Battle Wings. Memphis and Bossier-Shreveport played in week one, where Memphis won 63-24. Playoff tickets for the Xplorers first home playoff game are now available as well as single game tickets for the final regular season home game. Tickets start as low as $7 and can be purchased by calling 662-342-1755, visiting the DeSoto Civic Center box office, or by logging onto www.TicketMaster.com today. Memphis Xplorers Arena Football! Back in Black!
• Discuss this story on the arenafootball2 message board...
arenafootball2 Stories from July 20, 2005
- Riptide Host Inaugural Camp Curtis Mini-Football Clinic on July 23rd - San Diego Riptide
- Xplorers visit Gaston Park Public Library - Memphis Xplorers
- Xplorers Number One team in the League - Memphis Xplorers
- Week 17 af2 quick hitters - af2
- Xplorers Take Control - af2
- Blizzard Kids Football Camp Fills Up - Green Bay Blizzard
- Conley Returns to Dorados - Rio Grande Valley Dorados
- Xplorers Capture First Division Crown - Memphis Xplorers
- Capital District Sports announces new hire - Albany Firebirds
- Bossier-Shreveport Battle Wings game notes - Bossier-Shreveport Battle Wings
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.