Wynder Signs Retooled Contract, Extension Ahead of 2023 Season
February 3, 2023 - United Soccer League Championship (USL) - Louisville City FC News Release
Louisville City FC defender Josh Wynder will play this season on a revised contract that includes updated terms and extends through 2025, it was announced Friday.
Wynder, a rising star center back from Louisville, is coming up on a key campaign in purple. He turns 18 on May 2, a birthday that will make him eligible for a highly anticipated European move as soon as this summer's transfer window.
"This deal has been well-earned by Josh, who continues to impress us every day with his development over the last few years," said LouCity's head coach, Danny Cruz. "Josh has a bright future ahead, and he's handling that attention professionally. We know his focus is first on helping us chase our goals this year."
Wynder started 21 of his 24 USL Championship appearances last year, only missing some time due to injury during a breakout season. Internationally, he earned multiple call-ups to the United States' U-19 national team, captained the squad in a victory over England and was named one of five finalists for U.S. Soccer's 2022 Young Male Player of the Year award.
Wynder joined LouCity's preseason training this week after his first call-up to the U-20 national team, which recently completed a training camp in preparation for this year's FIFA U-20 World Cup. The boys in purple are working toward a March 11 kickoff to their 34-game USL Championship season.
The widely known website Transfermarkt boosted Wynder's value to a USL Championship-leading € million over the offseason, touting him as a "super talent." It positions him to be the league's first seven-figure outbound transfer.
"For me to make whatever my next step is, I think it will shine a light on Louisville and make people see the USL Championship is a great league and this is a great club," Wynder said. "I had a special year last year. It was definitely memorable. I'm happy to be playing on this new contract and have a job to do this season to help the club get its third star."
Wynder, who plays for LouCity alongside his 19-year-old brother, Elijah, is one of five first team members to date that signed professional deals out of the club's nascent youth academy. Others are defender Owen Damm, midfielder Carlos Moguel Jr. and defender Sebastian Sanchez.
Images from this story
Louisville City FC defender Josh Wynder
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from February 3, 2023
- Training Camp Digest: Week 1 - Sacramento Republic FC
- RGV FC Sign Goalkeeper Carlos Merancio - Rio Grande Valley FC Toros
- Detroit City FC Signs Ex-DC United Defender Jalen Robinson - Detroit City FC
- Republic FC Signs Colombian Forward Sebastian Herrera - Sacramento Republic FC
- Season Ticket Member Party February 25th - Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC
- Wynder Signs Retooled Contract, Extension Ahead of 2023 Season - Louisville City FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Louisville City FC Stories
- LouCity Completes Historic Transfer with Benfica for Star Defender Wynder
- LouCity to Host Mexico's Atlante FC in July 15 Friendly
- LouCity Can't Crack the Athletic in Scoreless Draw at Hartford
- What to Watch for with LouCity at Hartford Athletic
- Wynder Listed on USMNT's Preliminary Gold Cup Roster