Training Camp Digest: Week 1
February 3, 2023 - United Soccer League Championship (USL) - Sacramento Republic FC News Release
As new equipment was delivered, players arrived in Sacramento, and training plans were drawn up throughout January, the start of the 2023 season couldn't come faster for Republic FC. The squad and staff itched to get things going after a 2022 that was successful but lacking silverware. This past week the date long circled on the calendar finally arrived - the opening of 2023 training camp on January 28th - kicking off the club's 10th season.
The chilly morning returned football to being a daily occurrence for the club after a long offseason spent strategizing how to approach the upcoming season and fortifying the squad with proven contributors. Throughout the week, touches on the ball and repetition aimed to start re-establishing the habits crucial for strong performances throughout the season. Sessions to return every player to 90-minute fitness presented a necessary challenge to every player - signed, trialist, or otherwise.
Getting back on the field brought to the forefront what the club knows they have to do the next six weeks - hit the ground running - as they embark on a journey of preparation for their first match of the season in El Paso, Texas on March 11. With a bulk of the 2022 team back for the new season, the squad knows they are in a good spot to start from.
"There's a lot of work to be done still - that's what the preseason is for," said Conor Donovan. "But to have the base of comfort and familiarity we have this year is good. We can push each other, and to keep growing with that is massive."
Even if the goal for the season is the same - the club's already acknowledging that the mindset for 2023 is different. The team already possesses confidence, camaraderie, and cohesion. Reflected by the coaching staff, the club's captain and more, training camp now becomes about putting the pieces together.
"There was a different vibe [on the first day] - guys are ready to work," said Rodrigo Lopez. "Everyone knows each other and everyone knows the standards now. We felt like everyone came in ready to work, and that's important to see."
Week two, as the calendar turns to February, will see the club travel south to Arizona for additional training sessions in hopefully warmer weather. The week away will also be a great opportunity for important team-building, allowing the squad to grow closer and build even greater cohesion. Sacramento will also get their first taste of competition, taking on MLS sides Chicago Fire FC and Real Salt Lake in the FC Tucson Desert Showcase on February 8 and 11.
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from February 3, 2023
- Training Camp Digest: Week 1 - Sacramento Republic FC
- RGV FC Sign Goalkeeper Carlos Merancio - Rio Grande Valley FC Toros
- Detroit City FC Signs Ex-DC United Defender Jalen Robinson - Detroit City FC
- Republic FC Signs Colombian Forward Sebastian Herrera - Sacramento Republic FC
- Season Ticket Member Party February 25th - Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC
- Wynder Signs Retooled Contract, Extension Ahead of 2023 Season - Louisville City FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Sacramento Republic FC Stories
- Kevin Nagle Begins Process to Purchase Huddersfield Town A.F.C.
- Republic FC Midfielder Luis Felipe Named to USL Championship Week 3 Team of the Week
- A Closer Look at #SACvSD: "It Was a Great Fight from the Boys"
- Sacramento Republic FC Edges San Diego Loyal SC
- Notes and Quotes: "Every Week Is Going to be a Hard Road"