Wingrove, Pelletier Go Yard, Threshers Fall 9-7
CLEARWATER, Fla. - Rixon Wingrove went deep twice in Sunday's matinee, but the Dunedin Blue Jays came out on top in the 9-7 series finale at BayCare Ballpark. BOX
Wingrove's two blasts of the ballgame were his second and third in two days.
The Blue Jays (28-37) started off the scoring in the second inning. Zach Britton doubled to lead off the inning and moved up to third on a wild pitch. Harrison Ray soared a sacrifice fly into left field that scored Britton. Hugo Cardona hit a bunt single to reach base and stole second. He later crossed the plate courtesy of a fielding error for a 2-0 lead.
Clearwater (32-33) brought the score back to within one run in the home half of the inning. Baron Radcliff walked and Juan Aparicio hit a grounder to third to reach base safely. Ben Pelletier grounded into a double play erasing himself and Aparicio from the basepaths, but Radcliff moved safely to third and scored on a fly ball off the bat of Jose Tortolero to make it a 2-1 contest.
Dunedin put up four runs in the third inning with a Cardona grand slam, propelling the Blue Jays ahead 6-1.
Clearwater again cut the deficit in half in the bottom of the third inning after Wingrove launched his first dinger of the game, a two-run shot over the fence in center field that cut the difference to 6-3.
The Blue Jays added some insurance in the fourth with a single and a double for a 7-3 lead that Clearwater shortened to 7-4 in the seventh after Aparicio pushed a run across.
The cross-town rivals battled back-and-forth in the eighth inning, Dunedin scoring from a walk, groundout, and single, and Clearwater fought to chip away the lead with Wingrove's second two-run blast of the day for a score of 8-6.
The teams traded one run each in the ninth inning. Dunedin walked in a run and Ben Pelletier knocked an inside-the-park home run for the Threshers, but Dunedin came away the winners of the 9-7 match.
The Threshers travel to Tampa to face the Tarpons at George M. Steinbrenner Field July 20-25.
• Discuss this story on the Low-A Southeast League message board...
Low-A Southeast League Stories from July 18, 2021
- Cerda Catapults Daytona to Series Split, 8-4 - Daytona Tortugas
- 'Tugas Slugfest Dooms Marauders in Series Finale - Bradenton Marauders
- Wingrove, Pelletier Go Yard, Threshers Fall 9-7 - Clearwater Threshers
- Pereira Leads Tarpons to 5-4 Triumph in Finale vs. Flying Tigers - Tampa Tarpons
- Hammerheads Take Finale from Mussels 8-2 - Fort Myers Mighty Mussels
- Nine Run First Inning Propels Mets to Victory over Cardinals - St. Lucie Mets
- Game Notes: Tampa Tarpons (44-20) vs. Lakeland Flying Tigers (23-40) - Tampa Tarpons
- Radcliff Racks up 4-RBIs, Threshers Lose 12-5 on Saturday Night - Clearwater Threshers
- Holland, Rodriguez Lead Mussels to 7-5 Win over Jupiter - Fort Myers Mighty Mussels
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.