Who Will WFC2 Face in the USL Cup Playoffs?
VANCOUVER, BC - Now we wait.WFC2 wrapped up the regular season with a 2-1 win over Oklahoma City Energy FC on Wednesday night in Langley, ensuring that they will finish no lower than sixth in the Western Conference. So what exactly does that mean?
Here's what we know.
WFC2 will kick off the 2016 USL Cup Playoffs on the road next weekend against one of the following four teams, depending on Saturday's results.
SWOPE PARK RANGERS (PARENT CLUB: SPORTING KANSAS CITY)
If the season ended today, WFC2 would face Swope Park Rangers in the Western Conference quarterfinals. The young 'Caps won both their meetings with Swope Park this season, including a 2-1 road win in Kansas City, Missouri. Interestingly, the Rangers have a Canadian coach in Marc Dos Santos, as well as four Canadians on their roster.
RIO GRANDE VALLEY FC (MLS AFFILIATE: HOUSTON DYNAMO)
Rio Grande currently sit third in the West with a 13W-7L-9D record. A 3 vs. 6 playoff meeting with WFC2 is very possible. The two teams only met once this season, with Rio Grande cruising to a 4-0 home win against a 10-men 'Caps side. Rio Grande's roster features Canadian goalkeeper Callum Irving, a graduate of Whitecaps FC's Residency program.
SACRAMENTO REPUBLIC FC
Sacramento joined the USL in 2014 and won the USL Championship that same year. Quite the introduction. They average over 11,000 fans a game, the second highest attendance in USL. A playoff game in their barn would be quite the spectacle. WFC2 have held their own against Sacramento this season, earning a pair of scoreless draws as well as a 2-1 win.
COLORADO SPRINGS SWITCHBAKS FC
Colorado are currently the top team in the Western Conference, though a loss on Saturday could drop them down to third. WFC2 drew their lone visit to Colorado this season before falling 2-0 at UBC after going down to 10 men.
So there you have it.
Do WFC2 have a preference? Not according to head coach Alan Koch.
"To be honest, we don't really care where we go," he said on Wednesday. "There's a lot of parity in this league between probably all eight teams that will make the playoffs ... It's another development opportunity for our guys and we believe that we can go and beat anybody."
Be a part of the best sporting atmosphere in Vancouver. Get 12 per cent off 2017 Whitecaps FC Full Season Tickets from Sept. 22 - Oct 3. Click here for more information.
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from September 23, 2016
- Real Monarchs Seek Win at LA Galaxy II Saturday Night to Keep Playoff Hopes Alive - Real Monarchs SLC
- FC Montreal Ends 2016 USL Season this Saturday against Harrisburg - FC Montreal
- Blues Close out USL Regular Season with Playoff Spot on the Line - Orange County SC
- Arizona United Eyes Strong Finish to 2016 in Portland - Phoenix Rising FC
- Match Preview: Sacramento Republic FC vs Tulsa Roughnecks FC - Sacramento Republic FC
- Tickets on Sale for New York Red Bulls II Playoff Opener - New York Red Bulls II
- Game Preview: Riverhounds vs FC Cincinnati - Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC
- USL Weekend Preview - USL
- Win and You're In: San Antonio FC Travel to Rio Grande - San Antonio FC
- Toros Close Regular Season with South Texas Derby Match - Rio Grande Valley FC Toros
- PREVIEW: Louisville City FC Hosts Charlotte Independence In - Louisville City FC
- Kickers Travel to Wilmington Saturday - Richmond Kickers
- Who Will WFC2 Face in the USL Cup Playoffs? - Vancouver Whitecaps FC 2
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.