Weekly Preview: Out-Of-This-World Fun with "Steel in Space" this Friday
GENEVA, ILLINOIS - To celebrate the 50th anniversary of the moon landing, the Chicago Steel are hosting Steel in Space Night on Friday, December 6 during their game against the Cedar Rapids RoughRiders at 7:05 pm.
With the resurgence of NASA t-shirts and interest in space exploration, the Steel are joining in on the hype with a night of unidentified flying objects and alien sightings.
There will be special prizes available for lucky earthlings who win the Saturn Ring Toss and a Busch Light Smoker for the winner of the Budweiser Shootout During the second intermission.
Other prizes include a signed goalie stick from netminder Victor Ostman and four tickets for the Professional Bull Riders Chicago Invitational on Jan. 11-12 for the grand prize winner at the Steel Wheel and Plinko during Friday's game.
The Steel (15-4-1-0, 31 pts) face off against the Cedar Rapids RoughRiders (10-9-1-0, 21 pts) in a home-and-home set this weekend, the first of two back-to-back series between the clubs this season.
The RoughRiders are looking to snap a three-game losing streak, suffering shutout losses in their last two outings. Cedar Rapids is led by their top goal-scorer, Nikolai Mayorov, coming into the weekend series against Chicago. The Tyumen, Russia, native tallied all nine of his markers in a span of seven consecutive games from Oct. 25-Nov. 15.
After the departure of former Steel Head Coach Greg Moore on Dec. 1 to the same position for the Toronto Marlies of the AHL, Friday will mark the debut of Brock Sheahan as Chicago Steel Head Coach.
Last weekend, Chicago saw its season-best seven-game win streak come to an end on Nov. 29 with a 6-4 loss to the Muskegon Lumberjacks, but were able to recover for a series split with a 4-3 overtime win the following night.
The Steel have won eight of their last nine games and enter the weekend with the highest scoring average in the league (4.90 goals/game). Blueliners Owen Power (6G, 15A) and Uula Ruikka (3G, 15A) rank first and second among league defensemen in scoring this season.
Chicago will be without defenseman Luke Reid and forwards Brendan Brisson, Sam Colangelo, Sean Farrell and Gunnarwolfe Fontaine as they represent Team USA at the Junior A World Challenge in Canada. Cedar Rapids will be without blueliners Ben Meehan and Jack Millar as well as forward Grant Silianoff.
The Steel called up affiliate players Killian Kiecker-Olson and Sam Lipkin for this weekend's series against Cedar Rapids. Both players will be making their USHL debuts on Friday night.
Chicago Steel games may be heard on Mixlr at http://mixlr.com/chicago-steel/ (AUDIO) and video may be streamed on available devices through HockeyTV at www.hockeytv.com.
Friday, November 29 vs. Muskegon Lumberjacks L 6-4; Postgame Central
Saturday, November 30 at Muskegon Lumberjacks OTW 4-3; Postgame Central
Chicago Steel Upcoming Home Games:
Friday, December 6 vs. Cedar Rapids RoughRiders 7:05 pm (Steel in Space)
Friday, December 13 vs. Tri-City Storm 7:05 pm (Superstition Night)
Saturday, December 14 vs. Tri-City Storm 7:05 pm (Winterfest with Special Jersey Auction to benefit Cyclones Amateur Hockey Association presented by Illinois Aviation Academy)
For more information and to purchase Steel tickets, call 855-51-STEEL or visit ChicagoSteelHockeyTeam.com.
• Discuss this story on the United States Hockey League message board...
United States Hockey League Stories from December 4, 2019
- Weekend Preview: Weekend Series with Sioux Falls - Omaha Lancers
- Erik Portillo Named to Sweden's World Junior Roster - Dubuque Fighting Saints
- Weekly Preview: December 6th: Phantoms vs Team USA- U18, Toy Drive - Youngstown Phantoms
- Gamblers and FCCU Give Back to Area Schools - Green Bay Gamblers
- Posa & Zabaneh Make College Choices - Green Bay Gamblers
- Grant in Place for Masilevich During World Junior A Challenge - Sioux City Musketeers
- Weekend Primer: Saints Double up against Lumberjacks at Home - Dubuque Fighting Saints
- Weekly Preview: Out-Of-This-World Fun with "Steel in Space" this Friday - Chicago Steel
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Chicago Steel Stories
- Steel Fall To Cedar Rapids 7-3 Sunday
- Chicago Falls 5-2 To Cedar Rapids As Win Streak Ends
- Brendan Brisson Named USHL Forward of the Week
- Weekly Preview: Mascots Invade Geneva this Sunday to Celebrate Rusty's Birthday
- Bryan Bickell Headlines Chicago Blackhawks Night