Weather Shortens Game, But Bears Win 10-1
The Yakima Bears defeated the Boise Hawks 10-1 in a weather-shortened five-inning game Sunday night at Yakima County Stadium. The Bears evened the three-game series against the Hawks at 1-1.
After falling behind 1-0 in the first inning, the Bears offense exploded in the following three innings. In the second inning Mark Ginther hit a three-run homer after Jimmy Comerota reached on a walk and Danny Poma got on with a single. Nine batters came to the plate in the third inning and four runs were scored on five hits, including a two-run single by Jesus Abreu. Three more runs were added on two hits, a walk, and an error in fourth inning.
Lots of Bears batters had a good night at the plate, as Yakima outhit Boise 10-4. Kevin Medrano went 2-for-4 at the top of the order and is now hitting .333 on the season. Danny Poma finished 3-for-3 with three runs and two RBIs. Mark Ginther hit his first professional home run, a three-run shot, as part of a 1-for-3 night. Jesus Abreu went 1-for-2 with two RBIs and a walk. Jimmy Comerota reached twice on walks, and scored three runs while going 1-for-1.
Bears starting pitcher Cody Wheeler went four and a third innings before leaving in the middle of an at-bat. Wheeler allowed four hits, two walks, an unearned run, and had seven strikeouts. Chris Thomas came on and retired two batters in his professional debut to get the win.
The Bears are now 14-10 this season. The series against Boise concludes with a 7:05 game Monday. A left-handed pitching match-up is expected between Daniel Watts of the Bears and Willengton Cruz of the Hawks.
• Discuss this story on the Northwest League message board...
Northwest League Stories from July 8, 2012
- Tri-City Takes Game, Series from Spokane - Tri-City Dust Devils
- Weather Shortens Game, But Bears Win 10-1 - Yakima Bears
- AquaSox Bounce back with 10-6 Win over Canadians - Vancouver Canadians
- Dust Devils Blow by Indians 9-0 - Tri-City Dust Devils
- Hawks Win Series Opener Against Bears with Six Doubles - Yakima Bears
- Hawks end seven-game road losing streak - Boise Hawks
- Vancouver tops Aquasox 4-3 in front of sold out Scotiabank Field on Saturday - Vancouver Canadians
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.