Hawks Win Series Opener Against Bears with Six Doubles
The Yakima Bears lost 4-0 to the Boise Hawks Saturday night in the opening game of a three-game set at Yakima County Stadium. The Bears have shutout an opponent or been shutout in six games this season, including four of the last five games.
The Bears got the same performance out of Alex Carreras that he's given the team all season. The lefty K'd seven batters and allowed eight hits while walking none to allow two runs in five innings. That was the sort of effort that had helped Carreras win his first four starts, but on this night, in his fifth start, it led to a loss on his record. Blake Forslund and Enrique Burgos each pitched a scoreless inning, while Jose Jose gave up two unearned runs in his two innings on the mound.
The Hawks outhit the Bears 12-6 and collected six doubles, while the Bears had no extra-base hits. A double was a factor in all four runs scored by Boise, as doubles drove in a run in the second and two runs in the seventh inning, and a double to lead off the third led to the other run.
Kevin Medrano went 2-for-3 to improve his batting average to .324 this season. Ronnie Freeman went 2-for-3 with a walk.
The loss for the Bears dropped the team's record to 13-10, and now Yakima's lead in the Northwest League's East Division is only two games. Sunday the Bears and Hawks will play game two of the three-game series, with the first pitch scheduled for 7:05. The Bears are expected to start left-handed pitcher Cody Wheeler against the Hawks' righty Ian Dickson.
• Discuss this story on the Northwest League message board...
Northwest League Stories from July 8, 2012
- Tri-City Takes Game, Series from Spokane - Tri-City Dust Devils
- Weather Shortens Game, But Bears Win 10-1 - Yakima Bears
- AquaSox Bounce back with 10-6 Win over Canadians - Vancouver Canadians
- Dust Devils Blow by Indians 9-0 - Tri-City Dust Devils
- Hawks Win Series Opener Against Bears with Six Doubles - Yakima Bears
- Hawks end seven-game road losing streak - Boise Hawks
- Vancouver tops Aquasox 4-3 in front of sold out Scotiabank Field on Saturday - Vancouver Canadians
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.