Wave Split Weekend at UW-Milwaukee Panther Arena
The defense was rock solid for the Wave throughout much of the game as a snowstorm kept the crowd from reaching its usual Sunday heights. The Wave got the scoring going with a goal by Marcio Leite halfway through the first period. The defensive duel continued into the second period until Andre Hayne scored his second goal in his second game back (assisted by Derek Huffman), giving the Wave a 2-0 lead, which would be the score heading into halftime.
Harrisburg got on the board early in the third, but the Wave quickly regained control thanks to a headshot goal by Isaac Pereyra, assisted by Luan Oliveira and unassisted goal by Alex Bradley. The Heat would score the final goal in the third, to make the score 4-2.
The Wave would respond, scoring their final goal of the evening just 14 seconds into the fourth period courtesy of Max Ferdinand (assisted by Ian Bennett). Unfortunately, for the Wave they were hit with a double-whammy that lead to a Harrisburg comeback.
First, starting goalkeeper Rafa Dais, who stopped 7 of 8 shots and seemingly was unstoppable in this game, had to be carted off the with just under 3 minutes in the third period due to do a corner collision with Wave defender Guilherme Veiga. Backup goalkeeper Matt Eisold was valiant in his efforts to close the game, but the combination of the Wave's defensive breakdowns and the Heat's expert ball movement in their offensive zone made for a difficult task.
The Heat would score 4 unanswered goals in the fourth period, with the game-winning goal coming with just a 1:15 left in the game.
The Wave (9-4) will remain in firm control a playoff spot and remain home at UW Panther Arena as they take the Eastern Division leading Florida Tropics (13-1) on Sunday February 16 at 3:07 pm. It's a rematch that has been circled since the Tropics beat the Wave in their home opener 5-4 in overtime on December 7, 2019.
Join us for this big match and our Sunday Funday ($3 beer, pretzels & popcorn). Plus we will host our Celebrity Dodgeball game at halftime and our Military Appreciation Game. Show your Military ID/badge at the box office and receive a FREE premier ticket to the game!
• Discuss this story on the Major Arena Soccer League message board...
Major Arena Soccer League Stories from February 9, 2020
- Wave Split Weekend at UW-Milwaukee Panther Arena - Milwaukee Wave
- SeaWolves Can't Build on Strong Start, Fall to Baltimore - Orlando SeaWolves
- Blast Defeat SeaWolves 14-3 - Baltimore Blast
- Lancers End Two-Game Road Weekend with Loss at UCFC - Rochester Lancers
- Jelovac's Hat Trick Helps Utica City Trounce Rochester - Utica City FC
- Heat Lose on the Road to St. Louis 9-6 - Harrisburg Heat
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Milwaukee Wave Stories
- Pereyra Pummels Orlando SeaWolves with Seven Point Game; Wave Win 12-6
- Wave Defeat Seawovles in Game One of Douleheader
- Back to Back Home Games for Milwaukee Wave this Weekend
- California Not Kind to Wave over the Weekend; Lose Second Straight Game Sunday Night
- Wave Socked by San Diego Saturday Night in Overtime Shootout