Watson and Perras Lead Kings Past Amarillo 3-1
Amarillo, TX- Simon Watson's two goals and JF Perras' 38 saves helped the Lubbock Cotton Kings end a two-game road and overall winless streak, as the Kings defeated the Amarillo Gorillas 3-1 Sunday night at the Cal Farley Coliseum. The win improves the Kings Southwest Division leading record to 10-6-1.
The first period was filled with power play opportunities, with the teams combining for seven power play opportunities. The Kings received five man-advantages in the period and they capitalized on one of them with a goal by Watson. Craig Minard and Jason Beatty set up Watson for a one-time blast from the low-point past Shawn Conschafter with 1:50 remaining to take a 1-0 lead through the first period.
Watson added his second goal of the contest with 7:26 remaining in the second period of play with a snap shot from the top of the zone that snuck past Conschafter. Mike Carter grabbed his first goal of the season 56 seconds later with a shot from the left circle for a 3-0 lead. Amarillo's first goal came with 2:44 remaining with David Silverstone tucking the puck past Perras. Silverstone's goal ended Perras' shutout sequence at a pro career high 78 minutes (78:00).
Amarillo received four power play opportunities in the final frame, but the Kings defense and Perras were able to hold off any late Gorillas rally.
The apes out-shot the Kings 39-27, but Perras 38 stops improved his record to 4-3-0. Conschafter suffered his second consecutive loss to the Kings by allowing three goals. Teams combined for 18 power play opportunities, with Lubbock going 1 for 9 and holding the Gorillas scoreless on their 9 chances.
Lubbock will head south to Odessa to face the Odessa Jackalopes Wednesday before returning home to host Youngstown on Friday.
• Discuss this story on the Central Hockey League message board...
Central Hockey League Stories from December 3, 2006
- RiverKings win another close one - Mississippi RiverKings
- Bugs Lose 4-2 to Blazers - Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs
- Watson and Perras Lead Kings Past Amarillo 3-1 - Lubbock Cotton Kings
- Hounds Earn Point but Fall to Memphis in Shootout - Youngstown SteelHounds
- Bees fall to Bats 1-0 - Rio Grande Valley Killer Bees
- Tough third leaves Rayz with 3-2 loss to Bucks - Corpus Christi IceRays
- Bucks Rally For 3-2 Win Over Corpus Christi - Laredo Bucks
- Cotton Kings Road Game Preview - Lubbock Cotton Kings
- Scorpions power their way to victory - New Mexico Scorpions
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.