Watson and Perras Lead Kings Past Amarillo 3-1
Amarillo, TX- Simon Watson's two goals and JF Perras' 38 saves helped the Lubbock Cotton Kings end a two-game road and overall winless streak, as the Kings defeated the Amarillo Gorillas 3-1 Sunday night at the Cal Farley Coliseum. The win improves the Kings Southwest Division leading record to 10-6-1.
The first period was filled with power play opportunities, with the teams combining for seven power play opportunities. The Kings received five man-advantages in the period and they capitalized on one of them with a goal by Watson. Craig Minard and Jason Beatty set up Watson for a one-time blast from the low-point past Shawn Conschafter with 1:50 remaining to take a 1-0 lead through the first period.
Watson added his second goal of the contest with 7:26 remaining in the second period of play with a snap shot from the top of the zone that snuck past Conschafter. Mike Carter grabbed his first goal of the season 56 seconds later with a shot from the left circle for a 3-0 lead. Amarillo's first goal came with 2:44 remaining with David Silverstone tucking the puck past Perras. Silverstone's goal ended Perras' shutout sequence at a pro career high 78 minutes (78:00).
Amarillo received four power play opportunities in the final frame, but the Kings defense and Perras were able to hold off any late Gorillas rally.
The apes out-shot the Kings 39-27, but Perras 38 stops improved his record to 4-3-0. Conschafter suffered his second consecutive loss to the Kings by allowing three goals. Teams combined for 18 power play opportunities, with Lubbock going 1 for 9 and holding the Gorillas scoreless on their 9 chances.
Lubbock will head south to Odessa to face the Odessa Jackalopes Wednesday before returning home to host Youngstown on Friday.
• Discuss this story on the Central Hockey League message board...
Central Hockey League Stories from December 3, 2006
- RiverKings win another close one - Mississippi RiverKings
- Bugs Lose 4-2 to Blazers - Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs
- Watson and Perras Lead Kings Past Amarillo 3-1 - Lubbock Cotton Kings
- Hounds Earn Point but Fall to Memphis in Shootout - Youngstown SteelHounds
- Bees fall to Bats 1-0 - Rio Grande Valley Killer Bees
- Tough third leaves Rayz with 3-2 loss to Bucks - Corpus Christi IceRays
- Bucks Rally For 3-2 Win Over Corpus Christi - Laredo Bucks
- Cotton Kings Road Game Preview - Lubbock Cotton Kings
- Scorpions power their way to victory - New Mexico Scorpions