Hounds Earn Point but Fall to Memphis in Shootout
Southhaven, MS - For the second time in three nights the Memphis Riverkings were able to dash Youngstown's hopes of a first place tie with a 4-3 shootout victory on Sunday evening.
Just like last night the Hounds were able to draw first blood in the first minute as Jeff Christian pocketed his 10th goal of the season to make it 1-0 Y-Town. Rick Kozak would get his first goal of the season for the Kings to tie the game at one with three minutes to play. Youngstown refused to lose though as former RiverKing defenseman Stephen Margeson would score his fourth goal of the season with just seconds remaining to give Youngstown a 2-1 lead after one period.
The second period would show Memphis scoring two unanswered with Phil Aucoin and Louis Dumont scoring power play goals to make it 3-2 after two.
The third period would see the Hounds put up 19 shots in the third period and finally with 1:50 to play Tab Lardner would score from the slot to tie the game at three and force overtime.
The story of the game was once again the power play as Youngstown went 0-4 but the Riverkings showed why the SteelHounds are ranked 16th on the penalty kill as Memphis netted all three of their regulation goals on the man advantage.
The game would go to a shootout where Memphis with Jason Sessa and Derek Landmasser would score twice and goaltender Larry Sterling would blank the Hounds giving the Kings the 4-3 shootout victory and a three-point lead in the Northeast division (Y-Town 9-5-5, 23pts).
Youngstown finishes the first half of the road trip with a 1-2-1 record and will not play again until Friday at Lubbock. All games are available on ESPN Radio 1240-The Fan and www.steelhounds.com.
• Discuss this story on the Central Hockey League message board...
Central Hockey League Stories from December 3, 2006
- RiverKings win another close one - Mississippi RiverKings
- Bugs Lose 4-2 to Blazers - Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs
- Watson and Perras Lead Kings Past Amarillo 3-1 - Lubbock Cotton Kings
- Hounds Earn Point but Fall to Memphis in Shootout - Youngstown SteelHounds
- Bees fall to Bats 1-0 - Rio Grande Valley Killer Bees
- Tough third leaves Rayz with 3-2 loss to Bucks - Corpus Christi IceRays
- Bucks Rally For 3-2 Win Over Corpus Christi - Laredo Bucks
- Cotton Kings Road Game Preview - Lubbock Cotton Kings
- Scorpions power their way to victory - New Mexico Scorpions
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Youngstown SteelHounds Stories
- SteelHounds Franchise Terminated?
- Franck And Richards Honored As Team MVP's
- Hounds Offer Early Bird Specials for 08-09 Season Tickets
- SteelHounds Weekly
- Hounds season ends in 1-0 loss