Warriors Rout the Austin Spurs
SANTA CRUZ, Calif. - The Santa Cruz Warriors (4-7) defeated the Austin Spurs (4-6) 109-103 on Friday night in front of a sellout crowd (12th consecutive) at Kaiser Permanente Arena. The Warriors never trailed in tonight's game and would lead by as many as 15 points.
The Warriors were paced by Phil Pressey, who led all scorers with 31 points, 5 rebounds and 4 assists. Elgin Cook came off the bench to add 22 points and 5 rebounds, while Scott Wood contributed with 17 points. Dennis Clifford finished the game with 9 points and a game-high 17 rebounds, accounting for 36% of the Warriors' total team rebounds.
Cory Jefferson led Austin with 22 points and 8 rebounds, while Patricio Garino added 19 points. Dejounte Murray, playing on assignment from the San Antonio Spurs, finished the game with a triple-double, recording 10 points, 15 rebounds, and 13 assists.
The first half of play saw Santa Cruz maintain a comfortable lead behind a 54.8% team shooting effort. Phil Pressey gave the Warriors a boost with a 20-point first-half scoring effort, enabling a 12-point cushion heading into the break.
The Spurs opened the third frame on a 13-7 run to chip away at their double-digit deficit, coming within 6 points of Santa Cruz at the 7:03 mark. Fueled by six-point spurt from Elgin Cook, the Warriors increased their lead to a game-high 15 points at the 3:03 mark in the quarter.
Austin would rally late in the fourth, making it a one-possession game by the 2:34 mark. With 1:35 left in regulation, Phil Pressey connected with Scott Wood for three-point shot which would extend Santa Cruz's lead back to 5 points. With the momentum swung emphatically towards the hosts, the Warriors kept the Spurs at bay, notching their first home win since November 18.
The Santa Cruz Warriors will travel to Prescott Valley to take on the Northern Arizona Suns on Wednesday, Dec. 14 at 5:30 p.m. PST at Prescott Valley Event Center. Fans can catch the game on Facebook Live, by visiting the Santa Cruz Warriors' Facebook page at tip-off.
Santa Cruz Warriors tickets can be purchased at the Santa Cruz Warriors headquarters at 903 Pacific Avenue, online at www.santacruzbasketball.com or over the phone at (831) 713-4400.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from December 10, 2016
- D-Fenders Depth Spurs Win over Austin - Los Angeles D-Fenders
- Legends Run out of Time in Fort Wayne - Texas Legends
- Red Claws Cut Down Nets - Maine Red Claws
- Blue Reign Continues for Westchester Knicks in Loss - Westchester Knicks
- Stephen Zimmerman Recalled from Erie - Erie BayHawks
- Westchester Knicks Activate Mike Davis, Waive Anthony Kent - Westchester Knicks
- Pistons Assign Johnson, Ellenson and Gbinige to Grand Rapids - Grand Rapids Drive
- Lakers Re-Assign Ivica Zubac to Los Angeles D-Fenders - Los Angeles D-Fenders
- Patterson's 35 Points Pushes the Bighorns Past the Energy - Reno Bighorns
- Warriors Rout the Austin Spurs - Santa Cruz Warriors
- Energy Can't Make up Ground, Fall to Bighorns - Iowa Wolves
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Santa Cruz Warriors Stories
- Golden State Warriors Recall Guard Jacob Evans III from Santa Cruz
- Santa Cruz Warriors Conclude 2018-19 Season with Defeat to Rio Grande Valley Vipers, 144-125
- Santa Cruz Warriors Advance to Western Conference Finals, Beat the Blue 117-102
- Golden State Warriors Assign Guard Jacob Evans III to Santa Cruz
- Warriors Beat Agua Caliente Clippers 113-109, Match Best Record in NBA G League