Warriors Edged in Idaho
BOISE, Idaho - The Santa Cruz Warriors fell to the Idaho Stampede 99-95 Wednesday night in a game where five Warriors scored in double figures.
Santa Cruz's Dominic McGuire recorded the only double-double of the night, scoring a season-high 20 points and grabbing 12 rebounds. Daniel Nwaelele had 16 points, marking his eighteenth game scoring in double figures, while Scott Machado and Golden State Warriors assignment player Ognjen Kuzmic each scored 12. Seth Curry scored 10 points and had three steals.
Idaho's Dee Bost led all scorers with 24 points on 10-of-11 shooting from the field. Kevin Murphy had 23 points and nine rebounds off the bench, while Pierre Jackson scored 22. Both Bost and Jackson dished out seven assists.
There were six lead changes in the first half. Idaho was ahead by as much as 12 in the second quarter and finished the half with a seven-point advantage, but a 9-0 Warriors run tied the game at 61 midway through the third. The Warriors held Idaho to 16 points in the third quarter, which is a season-low for a Santa Cruz opponent, and took a six-point lead into the final frame. The fourth quarter was tied four times, but after a Kevin Murphy free throw broke the deadlock with 3:19 remaining, Idaho never looked back. Santa Cruz inched within one point with 26.5 seconds left off a Scott Machado running bank shot, but Idaho pushed its advantage to four in the final seconds and held on for the win.
The Stampede shot 48.6% from the field, compared to the Warriors' 40.2% shooting. Santa Cruz won the battle of the boards (48-40), scored more points in the paint (44-34) and committed fewer turnovers (12-15). Idaho had more assists (18-13).
The Santa Cruz Warriors return to Kaiser Permanente Arena for a West Division doubleheader, which begins Friday at 7:00 p.m. against the Reno Bighorns. Fans can listen to the broadcast on the Santa Cruz Warriors flagship station, KION 1460AM/101.1FM, catch the game on KOTR My11 in the Central Coast area or stream it on the NBA D-League's YouTube channel, www.youtube.com/nbadleague.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from January 30, 2014
- Energy Fall to the Skyforce on the Road - Iowa Wolves
- Rockets Recall Isaiah Canaan from the Rio Grande Valley Vipers - Rio Grande Valley Vipers
- Postponed Tulsa 66ers and Los Angeles D-Fenders Game to be Played March 11 - G League
- Armor to Wear Police & Firefighter Tribute Jerseys on Health & Safety Night February 8 - Springfield Armor
- Mad Ants' Faith & Family Night this Saturday - Fort Wayne Mad Ants
- Knicks Recall Three Players from Erie - Erie BayHawks
- Reno Bighorns Take Down Texas Legends - Reno Bighorns
- Hairston Puts up 45 in Loss to Bighorns - Texas Legends
- Warriors Edged in Idaho - Santa Cruz Warriors
- Stampede Use Late Run to Finish Warriors, 99-95 - Idaho Stampede
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Santa Cruz Warriors Stories
- Santa Cruz Warriors Beat Austin Spurs 119-102, Complete Texas Two-Step
- Santa Cruz Warriors Acquire Guard Nick Zeisloft
- Santa Cruz Warriors Collect Franchise Record 20 Steals, Beat RGV 122-112
- Santa Cruz Warriors Win Home Opener 88-86 in Rematch with Stockton Kings
- Santa Cruz Warriors Drop Season Opener 122-97 against the Stockton Kings