Volcanoes blank Boise Hawks
BOISE, Idaho - Brandon Allen and two relievers combined on a five-hit shutout, as the Salem-Keizer Volcanoes logged their first shutout win of 2011, blanking the Boise Hawks, 6-0, at Memorial Stadium.
Allen retired 11 consecutive men at one stretch, limiting the Hawks to just three hits in six strong innings to pick up his second win of the season.
The Volcanoes broke open a scoreless game in the fifth, as Ben Thomas lined a two-run double and Leonardo Ochoa roped a two-run single to give S-K a 4-0 lead. The visitors would add two in the eighth on a Jesus Galindo single and a wild pitch - handing Boise their league worst fifth shutout loss of the year.
Thomas went 3-for-4 in the win, with Ochoa, Galindo, and Garrett Buechele adding two hits. Joe Staley reached five times for S-K, including two hits and three walks.
Boise starter Jose Rosario was sharp, tossing four shutout innings, allowing just three hits in a no decision. Yaniel Cabezas had two of the Hawks five hits.
The series finale is tomorrow night, with the Hawks sending Austin Reed to the mound against the Volcanoes Steven Shackleford at 7:15 p.m.
• Discuss this story on the Northwest League message board...
Northwest League Stories from August 5, 2011
- Volcanoes blank Boise Hawks - Boise Hawks
- Rally Forces Extra Innings, But Bears Fall in 12 - Yakima Bears
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Boise Hawks Stories
- Minor League Baseball Announces Cancellation of 2020 Season for All Leagues
- The Park at Memorial Stadium Opens Friday, May 22
- Boise Hawks Launch "Treasure Valley Hometown Heroes"
- Boise Hawks Join Minor League Baseball's CommUNITY First Campaign
- Boise Hawks Release 2020 Promotional Schedule