Utah Royals FC Awarded First Overall Pick in 2024 NWSL Entry Draft
SANDY, Utah - Ahead of its debut season in the National Women's Soccer League, Utah Royals FC have been awarded the first overall pick in the 2024 NWSL Entry Draft presented by Ally.
The selection order for both the NWSL Entry Draft and the NWSL Expansion Draft was determined via a random generator during a meeting involving members of the league and representatives from Utah Royals FC and Bay FC teams.
Utah Royals secured first choice and selected the rights to the first overall pick in NWSL Entry Draft presented by Ally, formerly known as the NWSL College Draft. As a result, the Royals will also receive the first pick in the third round of the draft, while selecting second in the second and fourth rounds.
"Receiving the first overall pick in the NWSL Entry Draft is a massive first step for us as we look to build our roster for the 2024 season. There is a clear and proven history with first overall picks in this league and we are excited to be in the driver's seat with this upcoming year's draft," Head Coach Amy Rodriguez shared.
In addition, the Club selected priority in the Discovery Order ranking which outlines the order of teams that is used to determine which team receives priority when competing discovery requests are made simultaneously for a discovery-eligible player. The club also elected to receive priority in the Waiver Wire order when two or more teams attempt to acquire the rights of an NWSL player who has been released by their team.
As a result of the selection process the Royals will automatically receive the second overall pick in the 2024 Expansion Draft presented by Ally, with Bay FC taking the first pick.
The dates for both drafts have yet to be announced, but will be provided as soon as they become available.
Season ticket deposits for the 2024 season are available now by visiting UtahRoyals.com or by calling 844-REAL-TIX.
• Discuss this story on the National Women's Soccer League message board...
National Women's Soccer League Stories from June 28, 2023
- Utah Royals FC Awarded First Overall Pick in 2024 NWSL Entry Draft - Utah Royals
- NWSL Announces Asset Selection Order for Expansion Sides Bay FC, Utah Royals FC Ahead of 2024 Expansion Draft - NWSL
- Angel City Football Club Signs National Team Replacement Players Ahead of 2023 Women's World Cup - Angel City FC
- Chicago Red Stars Release Forward Brenna Lovera - Chicago Red Stars
- Houston Dash Sign Brazilian Women's National Team Midfielder Andressa Alves - Houston Dash
- National Women's Soccer League Reschedules Wednesday Night's Orlando Pride vs. NJ/NY Gotham FC UKG Challenge Cup Match - Orlando Pride
- NWSL Announces June 28 Match Between NJ/NY Gotham FC and Orlando Pride Postponed - NJ/NY Gotham FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Utah Royals Stories
- Utah Royals FC 2024 Schedule Unveiled
- Utah Royals FC Selects Seven Players in 2024 NWSL Draft
- Utah Royals FC Selects BYU FW Brecken Mozingo with Fourth Overall Pick in 2024 NWSL Draft
- Utah Royals FC Selects North Carolina MF Ally Sentnor with First Overall Pick
- Utah Royals FC Prepares for Friday's 2024 NWSL Draft