USL Championship Confirms 2020 Postseason Structure
The USL Championship on Monday confirmed its format for the 2020 Championship Playoffs, adding competition details to those previously announced upon the league's return to play in July.
The 16-team structure will remain in in a regionalized single-elimination bracket, with the four group winners in each conference earning hosting rights for the Eastern and Western Conference Quarterfinals. Following the opening round, hosting rights will be determined by regular season record.
With four games remaining, Louisville City FC (7-3-2, 23 points) sits atop Group E and in provisional position to host. Indy Eleven (7-4-1, 22 points) is a close second. The two sides meet at 7 p.m. Wednesday inside Lucas Oil Stadium looking to keep their distance from third-place Saint Louis FC at18 points.
Following the recommendations of the USL's Competition Strategy Committee, teams will see no less than four days between games should they advance. In the case of a postponement, the rescheduled match would need to take place within 48 hours of the original kickoff.
Additionally, a four-day game window (Thursday-Sunday) will be employed for each of the first three rounds of the postseason. As in previous seasons, at least a five-day window will remain in effect for the 2020 USL Championship Final to allow flexibility for broadcast purposes.
2020 USL Championship Playoffs Dates
- Conference Quarterfinals - October 8-11
- Conference Semifinals - October 15-18
- Conference Finals - October 22-25
- USL Championship Final - TBD
Images from this story
Louisville City FC in action
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from September 14, 2020
- Rising to Host Alianza Contigo in Support of the Hispanic Communitythis Friday, September 18 from 8 AM to 4 PM - Phoenix Rising FC
- USL Championship Sets Playoff Dates, Hounds First to Secure Postseason Spot - Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC
- USL Championship Confirms 2020 Postseason Structure - Louisville City FC
- Three Takeaways from #SACvRNO - Sacramento Republic FC
- Orange County Soccer Club Foundation, Embassy of the State of Qatar in the US Donate to Second Harvest Food Bank of Orange County - Orange County SC
- Switchbacks FC Partner with Levy - Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC
- Alejandro Guido Scores in Each Half to Help SD Loyal to 2-0 Win vs. Orange County SC - San Diego Loyal
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Louisville City FC Stories
- USL Announces 2021 Start Dates, Season Format
- USL Expects 'Productive Two Weeks' as Winter Summit Goes All-Digital
- LouCity, Midfielder Matsoso Agree to New Multiyear Deal
- LouCity Academy Appoints Junior Director to Lead New Age Groups
- Lefebvre Adds to LouCity's Goalkeeper Corps as Latest Signing