Two Runs in 10th to 'Dogs in Tough Loss
CHARLESTON, S.C. - Two runs in the bottom of the 10th inning doomed the BlueClaws in a 5-4 loss Thrusday night.
Lakewood scored once in the top of the 10th to take a 4-3 lead but Mario Hollands allowed two runs while only recording one out in the 10th to lose the game and collect his first loss of the season.
With two outs in the 10th inning the BlueClaws had their first two batters retired, but eventually scored to take a 4-3 lead. Logan Moore, Gustavo Gonzalez and Gauntlett Eldemire walked to load the bases. Up stepped second baseman Carlos Perdomo- 0-for-4 up to that point in the ballgame- who ripped a single to right field to score Moore from 3rd base. Gonzalez tried to score on the single but was thrown out at the plate by Charleston's right fielder Tyler Austin to end the inning.
The BlueClaws originally scored twice in the 6th inning on an RBI single by Harold Martinez and a bases loaded walk to Gustavo Gonzalez to take a 2-0 lead.
Charleston didn't score until the bottom of the 7th inning when they scored three earned runs on Gabriel Arias who was the first man out of the bullpen for the BlueClaws for starter Colin Kleven. A run by the BlueClaws in the 8th inning tied the game 3-3 and sent the game to extra innings.
Kleven had his best start of the season, tossing six shutout innings with eight strikeouts. He allowed four hits and two walks but earned the no-decision when the bullpen couldn't hold the lead. Kleven's record on the season stays at 1-2, but his ERA drops from 5.03 to 3.86.
The series continues Friday with the final game of the three-game series at Joseph J. Riley Jr. Ballpark. Lino Martinez (2-1, 7.77) will take the ball for the BlueClaws and will be opposed by a yet-to-be-determined starting pitcher for Charleston. The highly touted Jose Campos (3-0, 4.01) was scheduled to start but was placed on the disabled list prior to Thursday's game. First pitch for Friday's game is scheduled for 7:05 p.m.
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from May 3, 2012
- 'Hoppers Hang on for 7-3 Win on Thursday Night - Hickory Crawdads
- Walk-Off Victory Secures Series Win for Charleston - Charleston RiverDogs
- Two Runs in 10th to 'Dogs in Tough Loss - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Greenville Breaks Tie in 7th, Beats Legends 5-3 - Lexington Legends
- Savannah Pitching Keys 3-1 Win over Shorebirds - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Tourists Drop Second Straight To Power - Asheville Tourists
- Tapia Grounds Shorebirds in 3-1 Win Thursday - Savannah Sand Gnats
- Three-Run Seventh Propels Drive to 5-2 - Greenville Drive
- Intimidators Blast GreenJackets 11-1 - Augusta GreenJackets
- Offense Explodes Early in Route of Augusta - Kannapolis Intimidators
- Nine Innings of Networking Returns on Tuesday, May 8 - Kannapolis Intimidators
- Power Game Notes - West Virginia Power
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.