Two Aces Selected by MLB Teams-First Two of TCL-Era
Alexandria, LA; June 9, 2011 - The Alexandria Aces are proud to announce that their first two players of the Texas Collegiate League-era have been drafted over the past two days by Major League Baseball Teams.
Derek Vaughn, a 6'0" RHP from Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, playing collegiately at Texas Wesleyan University was drafted by the Tampa Bay Rays in the 47th Round Wednesday afternoon. Vaughn started and won the Aces' first win this season on June 3, against the Brazos Valley Bombers, striking out seven in five innings of work.
Montreal Robertson, a 6'4" RHP from McGhee, Mississippi, playing collegiately at Coahoma Community College, a JUCO in Mississippi, was selected by the Detroit Tigers in the 29th Round late Tuesday afternoon. Robertson is set to join the Aces tonight and is expected to make his debut soon.
The Texas Collegiate League had 36 players selected in the 2010 MLB Draft and it is believed that an early indication of players from the 2011 MLB Draft will also produce a similar amount of current and former players of the TCL that had their names called over the three-day draft held Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday.
Another current Aces' pitcher, Devin Malone, a 6'3" RHP from Crawford, MS, also played collegiately at Coahoma Community College was expected to get drafted in the late rounds by various media sites on the internet and return to school. Malone is expected to play next spring for the University of Louisiana-Monroe.
The Aces are selling season tickets for just $100/seat for reserved and general admission seats, as well as its continuing advertising and marketing opportunities. please call the Aces' office, 473-2237. The Aces and its local ownership group are looking forward to continuing to provide great, family-friendly entertainment to the Central Louisiana community.
• Discuss this story on the Texas Collegiate League message board...
Texas Collegiate League Stories from June 9, 2011
- Errors Cost Generals in 3-1 Loss to Aces - Victoria Generals
- Two Aces Selected by MLB Teams-First Two of TCL-Era - Alexandria Aces
- Pump Jacks End Skid with Win Over Brazos Valley - East Texas PumpJacks
- Former Bombers Selected in 2011 MLB Draft - Brazos Valley Bombers
- Cane Cutters Taken in MLB Draft - Acadiana Cane Cutters
- Black Angry Birds Are a Hit as Bombers Open Series with Pumpjacks - Brazos Valley Bombers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Alexandria Aces Stories
- Aces Announce Kisatchie National Forest/Smokey the Bear Aces Team Photo Night
- Aces Announce City of Pineville's Free Admission "Pack the Park"
- Aces Game Tonight Canceled
- Aces Announce Louisiana Lottery Shirt-Off-Our-Back Night Tomorrow
- Free Aces General Admission Tickets Tuesday, July 24th