Tulsa Rallies past Energy FC 3-2
Cordell Cato and Tucker Stephenson scored their first goals of the season, but FC Tulsa came from behind to win the third and final Black Gold Derby of 2020, 3-2, Wednesday night in Tulsa.
The Greens started the game well, winning several corner kicks, before finally making the breakthrough in the 11th minute. Rafael Garcia's quick long ball on the counter attack sprung Cato in behind the Tulsa defense. Cato took a touch in stride before rounding Sean Lewis with ease and calmly rolled the ball into the back of the empty net.
The lead was short-lived, however, as Tulsa equalized just four minutes later. Matt Sheldon's cross from the left wing found Marlon Santos at the back post, who was able to beat Laurendi with the header from close range.
OKC regained the lead in the 57th minute through an outstanding effort from Stephenson. Stephenson cut inside from the left onto his right foot and unleashed a rocket from the corner of the penalty area that flew off the far post and in the back of the net.
The hosts equalized in the 79th minute when second-half substitute Toby Uzo got on the end of a cross from the right wing and was able to nod the ball past Cody Laurendi from six yards out.
Tulsa found a late winner in the 88th minute in similar fashion to the equalizer, as a cross from the right was headed in by Uzo, this time from near the top of the box.
The loss means Tulsa claims the Wrench for just the second time in its history, following 2017's triumph.
The Greens finish the season on the road at Rio Grande Valley FC Toros this Saturday, October 3. Kickoff is set for 8:00 p.m. CT from H-E-B Park.
OKC: Cato (Garcia), 11'
TUL: Santos (Sheldon), 15'
OKC: Stephenson (Hernandez), 57'
TUL: Uzo (Altamirano), 77'
TUL: Uzo (Altamirano), 88'
TUL: Chapman-Page, Yellow Card, 35'
OKC: Taravel, Yellow Card, 45'+2'
OKC: Chavez, Yellow Card, 45+4'
OKC: Amico, Yellow Card, 70'
OKC: Ellis-Hayden, Yellow Card, 84'
TUL: Bird, Yellow Card, 86'
OKC Starting XI: GK: Cody Laurendi (c); D: Zach Ellis-Hayden, Christian Ibeagha, Nico Taravel, Joe Amico (Ramon Del Campo, 79'); M: Rafael Garcia, Brad Dunwell, Jose Hernandez (Arun Basuljevic, 69'); F: Tucker Stephenson (Jon Brown, 69'), Jaime Chavez, Cordell Cato (Kodai Iida, 85')
Subs Not Used: CJ Cochran, Atiba Harris, Mike Da Fonte
TUL Starting XI: GK: Sean Lewis; D: Bradley Bourgeois, Matt Sheldon, Callum Chapman-Page, Kevin Garcia; M: Ariel Martinez (c), Eric Bird, Lebo Moloto (Raphael Ayagwa, 90+3'); F: Rodrigo da Costa (Toby Uzo, 77'), Marlon Santos (Cristhian Altamirano, 77'), Dario Suarez (Fabian Bastidas, 90+6')
Subs Not Used: Bryan Byars, Vangjel Zguro, Mfon Udoh
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from September 30, 2020
- Last-Minute SKC Goal Breaks 1-1 Draw, Setting Up Showdown Between Indy Eleven and Saint Louis FC for Playoff Berth - Indy Eleven
- Tulsa Rallies past Energy FC 3-2 - OKC Energy FC
- Barrera's Crazy Goal Gives Hartford a 3-2 Win - Hartford Athletic
- Miami Produces Thrilling Comeback against Battery - Miami FC
- Union II Edged by Hartford Athletic 3-2 - Philadelphia Union II
- North Carolina FC Score Three Goals in First Half to Record Dominant Win over New York Red Bulls II - North Carolina FC
- Game Notes: Tacoma Defiance vs. Sacramento Republic FC - September 30, 2020 - Tacoma Defiance
- Independence Could Clinch Third Playoff Berth on Wednesday - Charlotte Independence
- 880 Screaming Fans, 450 Miles from Home, 0 Positive COVID Tests: How New Mexico United Is Leading the Way on Community Safety - New Mexico United
- Preview: Austin Bold FC at Rio Grande Valley FC - Austin Bold FC
- OCSC Face LA Galaxy II in Pivotal Match - Orange County SC
- USL Championship Discipline Report - Week 15 - USL
- Date, Time Set for LouCity's Playoff Opener - Louisville City FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.