Tourists Receive Affiliation Invite from Houston Astros
ASHEVILLE - The Houston Astros have invited the Asheville Tourists franchise to be their Advanced Class A affiliate for the 2021 season and beyond.
The Tourists were previously affiliated with the Astros in 1967 and from 1982-93.
During the 1987 season, Asheville was home to Astros legend Craig Biggio. The MLB Hall of Famer hit .375 with 31 stolen bases in 64 games with the Tourists.
"The Astros are very excited about partnering with the Tourists franchise and setting up roots in the City of Asheville," said Astros General Manager James Click. "Asheville is one of the most historic franchises in all of minor league baseball and we look forward to adding to that history."
"We are thrilled to receive the invitation from the Houston Astros to partner with them as part of their organization," said Tourists President and Owner Brian DeWine. "Baseball's return to Asheville this Spring will give us a season we will never forget."
From 1994-2020 Asheville was the Full Season Class Low A affiliate of the Colorado Rockies.
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from December 9, 2020
- Tourists Receive Affiliation Invite from Houston Astros - Asheville Tourists
- West Virginia Power Left out of MLB Plans - West Virginia Power
- BlueClaws Receive Invitation to Become Phillies High-A Affiliate - Jersey Shore BlueClaws
- New Era of Affiliated Baseball in Charleston to Begin in 2021 - Charleston RiverDogs
- Augusta GreenJackets Invited to Become Atlanta Braves Affiliate - Augusta GreenJackets
- Fireflies Invited to Become Kansas City Royals' Affiliate - Columbia Fireflies
- Rome Braves Invited to be Atlanta Braves High-A Affiliate - Rome Braves
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.